Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Oregon Burrito
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed Graves frame sliders about 2 months ago. I had never had an incident that required the use of my frame sliders since they had been on my bike nor prior. Tonight my bike fell over in my garage straight down, no sliding, and my left hand frame slider had a compound fracture consequently letting the left side of my bike slam to the ground. The area where the frame slider broke from the frame resembles a broken bone from a 90 yr old lady with osteoporosis. Here ya go....YAY

Attachments

·
1290!
8,635 Posts
you should draw a sad face on the dusty area...
That would scratch the paint. :no

That sucks man, I'm sure you'll get a replacement. Any damage to the fairings etc.

I've always been interested in how effective the sliders are that don't mount directly to the frame.

·
Oregon Burrito
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That would scratch the paint. :no

That sucks man, I'm sure you'll get a replacement. Any damage to the fairings etc.

I've always been interested in how effective the sliders are that don't mount directly to the frame.
I dont know about other non frame mounting sliders but graves i would give a grade of F. Dented case cover, rashed mid fairing and some various other blemishes that piss me right the fvck off!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Not every man really lives
3,263 Posts
Wow that sucks. I have Graves sliders on my 09 and it withheld a fall from my trailer (front wheel was on the trailer while rear was still on the ramp). Broke right Renthal clip on, scratched right mid, shattered upper tail, broke right mounting bracket for exhaust on the subframe, slightly bent Gilles right rearset/scuffed peg, light scratches on Leo Vince CF canister/clamp/rivet band, scratches on lip (not the flat surface) of the right side upper fairing. It's whatever though, shit happens.

I was pissed and shocked at the same time when it happened, but overall more concerned about making a 2 day track school the following 2 days. Few days later, I installed some CF inner mids I had and the bracket for the right frame slider was kinda loose. Don't know if that was before or a result of the fall, but it was more likely before. Maybe because it was loose it absorbed some of the energy:dunno

Here she is waiting for replacement parts to be installed (clip-on taped up so it's not hanging freely):

Scratches on right mid:

·
1290!
8,635 Posts
I dont know about other non frame mounting sliders but graves i would give a grade of F. Dented case cover, rashed mid fairing and some various other blemishes that piss me right the fvck off!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
:( I can only imagine how pissed off... we fit these things hoping to avoid damage in cases like this and if they don't work .... FFFFUVK! Fair enough if you send it down the road or highsided etc but you didn't.

·
Is it track time yet?
33 Posts
Bummer! The Motovation Frame Slider Kit appeals to me. There are 4 sliders to each side of the bike. Three of them connect directly to the other side through swingarm pivot hole and axles. I'm thinking about taking the plunge on them.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Lean Baby, Lean
298 Posts
Sadly had the same experience, bike got knocked over in the shop... replaced with LSL frame sliders that did much better when my buddy wadded it up :shake

·
Super Moderator
24,193 Posts
I often wonder of they are worth the hassle. Most cases in a low side they flip the bike and cause double the damage.
And break the mounting point (frame).

·
look for special phrase here
9,923 Posts
I often wonder of they are worth the hassle. Most cases in a low side they flip the bike and cause double the damage.
I've gone down twice (lowside) and the combined price of repair was $44. $22/ slider :flex: Bike pivoted on the slider and the tires. No other damage was done other than minor scratches on the mids. And I mean minor, especially considering the first was @80mph and the other was about the same. I'd have to check video. For me, personally, totally worth it

Edit: I lied. I popped the windscreen off in the first one when my lid hit it :lol so I had to install the factory one. No amount of frame sliders will prevent that :hammer:

·
1290!
8,635 Posts
I've gone down twice (lowside) and the combined price of repair was $44. $22/ slider :flex: Bike pivoted on the slider and the tires. No other damage was done other than minor scratches on the mids. And I mean minor, especially considering the first was @80mph and the other was about the same. I'd have to check video. For me, personally, totally worth it

Edit: I lied. I popped the windscreen off in the first one when my lid hit it :lol so I had to install the factory one. No amount of frame sliders will prevent that :hammer:
That's impressive luck! This was on a track I assume? At 80 you would have hit something on the street for sure.

·
The Big R
403 Posts
I have the Shogun No cut Frame sliders on my 2010. Similar incident happened. Someone knocked it over while it was parked and it fell on the right side. I found the bike resting on the right side slider when I checked on it in the morning. Right side foot peg snapped. I had a scratched inner fairing since the mighty bolt holding the shogun slider bracket to the mounting point on the frame bent, causing the bracket to make contact with the inner fairing. Maybe it dint bend the instant it hit the ground, but maybe since it was lying like that throughout the night..continuous stress bent it eventually. Hit up TJ at Rider Discount and he promptly sent me replacement slider, bracket and bolts for an astonishingly low price. Just to be sure I replaced the whole right side slider setup.

·
Lean Baby, Lean
298 Posts
I have the Shogun No cut Frame sliders on my 2010. Similar incident happened. ...I had a scratched inner fairing since the mighty bolt holding the shogun slider bracket to the mounting point on the frame bent, causing the bracket to make contact with the inner fairing...
The bolts are meant to bend, so it doesn't break the frame! ON my LSL's when it went over the bolt bent and the panel behind it got a small mark, hidden so I won't have to replace that....

If you ever replace one of those bolts make sure it's like a grade 5 or softer, not a grade 8, busted frames are $$$$

·
The Big R
403 Posts
The bolts are meant to bend, so it doesn't break the frame! ON my LSL's when it went over the bolt bent and the panel behind it got a small mark, hidden so I won't have to replace that....

If you ever replace one of those bolts make sure it's like a grade 5 or softer, not a grade 8, busted frames are $$$$
Makes sense.
Replaced them with the same shogun replacement bolts.

·
look for special phrase here
9,923 Posts
Did you look what grade bolt it was in that shogun of yours. I bet it's higher than 8.8, which is about the same as grade 5 :fact If the bolt breaks, bends, snaps, explodes...it all depends on the type of impact. In my scenario, I was leaned waay over and the impact wasn't that hard. It mostly had to hold up to the sliding and absorb the bumps as it skipped across the asphalt :lol I will agree that a softer bolt will bend easier and will be less likely to cause the mount to snap. But you have to be careful otherwise it won't hold for anything

And yes I was on the track :lol 2 weeks apart from each other :shake 1st was a left handed and the 2nd was a right :crash

·
Venom X/O
23,865 Posts
I've been over twice on no-cut sliders. First time it helped, but i still messed the fairings up.
It did save the tank though. Crash was at 50mph.

Second time was a 20mph low side that only hurt the puck. Totally worth it

1 - 20 of 34 Posts