Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
You don't impress me.
553 Posts
I've got the Graves no-cuts. Bike dumped in gravel and didn't get but a scuff on the rear.

·
R1 it's Legendary...like MOTO
1,268 Posts
Wow that sucks. I have Graves sliders on my 09 and it withheld a fall from my trailer (front wheel was on the trailer while rear was still on the ramp). Broke right Renthal clip on, scratched right mid, shattered upper tail, broke right mounting bracket for exhaust on the subframe, slightly bent Gilles right rearset/scuffed peg, light scratches on Leo Vince CF canister/clamp/rivet band, scratches on lip (not the flat surface) of the right side upper fairing. It's whatever though, shit happens.

I was pissed and shocked at the same time when it happened, but overall more concerned about making a 2 day track school the following 2 days. Few days later, I installed some CF inner mids I had and the bracket for the right frame slider was kinda loose. Don't know if that was before or a result of the fall, but it was more likely before. Maybe because it was loose it absorbed some of the energy:dunno

Here she is waiting for replacement parts to be installed (clip-on taped up so it's not hanging freely):

Scratches on right mid:

Sorry to hear about your bike. I do have a question tho, what kind of rear hugger is that?

·
Registered
103 Posts
The bolts are meant to bend, so it doesn't break the frame! ON my LSL's when it went over the bolt bent and the panel behind it got a small mark, hidden so I won't have to replace that....

If you ever replace one of those bolts make sure it's like a grade 5 or softer, not a grade 8, busted frames are $$$$

I agree!
I have had good luck with Graves sliders but I know I have different placement on my FZ1. This was a wreck a few months ago: A 40 mph low side:

Fixed the damage for about $800. I think in an actual wreck these things are designed to save your engine. You will definitely take some collateral damage across your bike. So by design they will protect the crankcase while the rest of the bike can take a beating.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Sucks anytime one of our bikes goes down.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I used to have the graves no cuts also. Had a minor lowside around 35mph and the slider did snap right off just like the op's pics. Left mid got trashed and so did the upper rear. But the motovation axle and swingarm sliders saved any real damage.

Using woodcraft sliders now, had to cut the holes but they seem very sturdy.

·
Not every man really lives
3,263 Posts
I used to have the graves no cuts also. Had a minor lowside around 35mph and the slider did snap right off just like the op's pics. Left mid got trashed and so did the upper rear. But the motovation axle and swingarm sliders saved any real damage.

Using woodcraft sliders now, had to cut the holes but they seem very sturdy.

I wasn't going to replace mine because they are still good, with the exception of the scuff on the right puck, but now seems the smart thing to do for the long run.

·
Vendor
266 Posts
It’s pretty simple! Ask the doctor how many pounds of pressure are required to break your arm? Well let’s see,,,,, it’s all about where and how the force is being applied!
ENOUGH SAID

Respectfully and Sincerely
Chuck Graves

·
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
14,032 Posts
That would scratch the paint. :no

That sucks man, I'm sure you'll get a replacement. Any damage to the fairings etc.

I've always been interested in how effective the sliders are that don't mount directly to the frame.
That's why I wouldn't purchase that type. That design just spells failure IMHO. The fact that the bike just fell over is proof, imagine if the bike was actually moving. Of course, it could always be a manufacturing defect in the mount but I just don't trust that design.

·
Super Moderator
23,937 Posts
I dont know about other non frame mounting sliders but graves i would give a grade of F. Dented case cover, rashed mid fairing and some various other blemishes that piss me right the fvck off!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Do you have any damage to your frame?????? NO, well they did their job! They're not fairing savers or cover savers. :shake

·
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"
14,032 Posts
Do you have any damage to your frame?????? NO, well they did their job! They're not fairing savers or cover savers. :shake
That's a good point that many people forget. My concern is that the off set design of the no cut sliders seems like the threaded stud could break off or bend in the frame easier than a straight mounted type.

·
WERA? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #21
2,499 Posts
It’s pretty simple! Ask the doctor how many pounds of pressure are required to break your arm? Well let’s see,,,,, it’s all about where and how the force is being applied!
ENOUGH SAID

Respectfully and Sincerely
Chuck Graves
I knew it was only a matter of time before Chuck dropped his two pennies in this thread :lol

Say it with me people... Frrrrrrrrame SSSSSSSSSSSSliders. Think about what they are meant to do... Now think about how your Graves slider failed...

Your welcome. Have a wonderful evening... :crash

(last time I ran sliders, they caught and flipped the bike... After that, I'd rather just destroy my bodywork than actual components on both sides of the bike... :dunno)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts