Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
My R1 go to warp drive
498 Posts
I'm just being as transparent a I can be so others don't have to "figure it out" on their own. There might also be a difference in what shock you use. FFP shocks like the Penseke or the JRi use lighter springs by design while the stocker or Ktech or Ohlins need a slightly harder spring (by comparing shock to shock ignoring the linkage at the moment). This has nothing to do with suspension needs of the rider/bike/link but rather a simple design difference between the shock themselves.

:tocoo: Use the internet at your own risk.
:eek: The more you know the more confusion there is...

·
My R1 and I R1
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm glad you got the linkage and was able to put it to good use already. What format did you put it in A or B? Also did you do any shock spring change?

Orientation B. Lowered the shock adjustment all the way down. Adjusted ride height withe the linkage. Then set sag.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
It’s not drama, I’ll dig up the photos.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello hope everyone is well. I’m new to the site. Thank you in advance.
This thread has been very helpful.
I am doing a old Kawasaki fitted with newer suspension project. The 09-14 swingarm is a great looking arm and believe it or not, almost bolts straight onto the kaw frame.

I need to fab up the top shock mount. Which is why I’m asking for your help before I do.
I don’t have Facebook so can’t follow the trend. Hopefully the forum isn’t dead the way the Kawasaki forums are.

Currently the bike is mocked up with 2012 r1swingarm and oem linkage. I also have a soupys adjustable link.
This thread says the performance oriented linkage/knuckle is superior to the oem unit.

Question: can someone provide the triangle measurements of the track unit? The 3 sides of the link hole to hole? I’m assuming it is larger than the oem for more leverage???

Question: what do you like in regards to the swingarm angle topped out or sitting?

Question: am I wrong or does the r1 shock of 09-14 sit fairly straight up and down?
The top of the shock does not seem to be tilted forward nearly/not at all, like other makes of bikes.

Again thank you in advance for any insight or direction. If the superbike or graves unit is sitting on a shelf and forsale, please let me know.
One last thing. I have a linkage from a year that I don’t know too. It’s the last picture.
Thank you
Cmg
F13BCE53-432A-4B4A-949D-2968BA022451.jpeg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,259 Posts
Hello hope everyone is well. I’m new to the site. Thank you in advance.
This thread has been very helpful.
I am doing a old Kawasaki fitted with newer suspension project. The 09-14 swingarm is a great looking arm and believe it or not, almost bolts straight onto the kaw frame.

I need to fab up the top shock mount. Which is why I’m asking for your help before I do.
I don’t have Facebook so can’t follow the trend. Hopefully the forum isn’t dead the way the Kawasaki forums are.

Currently the bike is mocked up with 2012 r1swingarm and oem linkage. I also have a soupys adjustable link.
This thread says the performance oriented linkage/knuckle is superior to the oem unit.

Question: can someone provide the triangle measurements of the track unit? The 3 sides of the link hole to hole? I’m assuming it is larger than the oem for more leverage???

Question: what do you like in regards to the swingarm angle topped out or sitting?

Question: am I wrong or does the r1 shock of 09-14 sit fairly straight up and down?
The top of the shock does not seem to be tilted forward nearly/not at all, like other makes of bikes.

Again thank you in advance for any insight or direction. If the superbike or graves unit is sitting on a shelf and forsale, please let me know.
One last thing. I have a linkage from a year that I don’t know too. It’s the last picture.
Thank you
Cmg View attachment 1010164
If I was home and had my bike in my possession, I would definitely measure that for you.

You should start a build thread here for sure!!!!!!! This forum is still alive and kicking to a certain extent.

·
My R1 go to warp drive
498 Posts
Yeah start a thread this is a specific thread topic, you'll get more response asking it with your own thread

21 - 29 of 29 Posts