Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I gonna miss it........
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting back into riding after my '97 CBR 600 F3 got stolen a couple of years ago. I've got a 2002 Silver R1 paid for, with my name on it, coming in late Feb. to early March. Hopefully I won't go insane waiting for it and some good weather.:eek: I've got tons of questions but I'll only shoot out a couple at a time. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

1.) How long does it take these aftermarkets guys to start coming out with parts after a new model is released?

2.) This will probably open up a forum in itself, but any helmet preferences, I've looked at all the options but what do you guys like between Shoei and Arai? ie. comfort, shields, and of course looks. And any well known places to get that helmet custom painted?

P.S. - Great site and forum, I've already got some ideas just reading previous posts.

·
I'm wheelie nuts
458 Posts
Great choice....

Got the exact same bike on order myself! Can't wait til it gets here. Welcome.

P.J.:rock

·
I gonna miss it........
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks P.J.

I always wondered when somebody would crank out a good bike in that great silver color.

·
Hooligan
195 Posts
Aftermarket products usually take quite a while. The 2002 R1 isn't entirely different so it might not be too long. Mid-summer we should start seeing some things in the US. The European market is usually faster so I'd look there first. I'm waiting on a silver '02 as well.

As far as helmets go, I'll never buy anything but an Arai. I have the Quantum F and I love it. The only thing I'd like to see is helmet like the Quantum but with no top vents. I have to tape them up for a lot of the riding season in Maine because there is too much airflow when its cold. You really can't go wrong with Arai or Shoei.

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
:machinegu WELCOME :machinegu
OK to answer questions in order. The aftermarket people probably have prototype stuff in waiting but you will not see anything until late 2002 or so. As far as helmets go I can only speak for myself,I have had about every brand worth having but I prefer Arai over all of them for comfort,weight,noise levels and easy visor changing. I use a Quantum/F and my old Shoei feels like a brick in comparison. Hope that helped some. I made your pic smaller,hope you dont mind

·
Registered
777 Posts
Arai is the way to go! I have owned many others and the Arai is the lightest and most comfortable. It's pricey but my head is worth it (IMO):D

The Quantam F is for rounder heads and the Signet is for oval heads. Also it is very easy to change the visor on these helmets.

No clue about were to go for airbrushing but that should not be to hard to get done. I am betting someone will have a helmet out quick to match the Silver R1 though.

BS

·
1,894 Posts
All these guys getting new R1s and I am stuck with my POS :bash :bash ;)

·
one liter asphalt eater
111 Posts
ARAI HELMETS

Well, I have to agree, the Arai helmets are the absolute best the market has available. I bought a Quantum/F and love it. But after trading in my orange CBR600F4
I needed something to match my 2002 YZF-R1 in the horny sexy silver color. So I went with an RX7RR4

You can check out the others at www.araiamericas.com
This one is mine.

·
1,894 Posts
Nice lid and it will go good with a 2002 R1:rock

·
Forum chick
345 Posts
Airbrushing.

Hi R1pilot, and welcome. :)
I went looking around for some places that do QUALITY airbrushing and out of all of them, thought this place looked the best. Reason why was because they specialize in sportbike helmets and do sportbikes themselves. You gotta take a look at their work. Its really incredible. They will do a custom design of your choice as well.
http://www.stoudesign.com/

Blue Streak, some of the designs might look a little familiar to you because a while ago you posted a link for everyone to look at with some custom painted helmets on it. Alot of these guy's work is on that page. :)

hypeR1, that helmet is PERFECT. I not only like the color, but the design as well. :rock

·
Steeringdamper?? I´m strong...
123 Posts
Arai, Shoei maybe light but they can´t beat this superb helmet made in Sweden, the world famous JOFA high quality racing helmet, made for track use and high speed only.
You can´t attach any visor on it and that reduces max speed to apr 6 mph, but you got to agree, it´s a beutiful helmet??

You can even get it customized with paintjob and bar-visor that will protect your face from birds and such things.

Oh, it´s not so silent as Arai and Shoei but if you want silence you can buy a car, right??

:D :D :D :D :

·
I gonna miss it........
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everybody for getting back to me so quick. Kathleen that was a great site for airbrushing they look pretty talented. I've already blasted them an e-mail. Now I just have to figure out what to put on the helmet. Twisted Logic, sorry about the picture size appreciate you making it more managible. Looks like I will probably go with an Arai. It was the best fit for my head in the store, and based on what I hear from you guys it works good riding. Thanks for the help so far.

·
I gonna miss it........
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The hockey helemt might work, but I'm thinking the eyes might water a little bit at speed.

·
Forum chick
345 Posts
R1Champ, I just checked and you can get them in replicas. That one is a new one that they did so you won't see very many of them. I think its pretty :rock, myself.
I pulled up a link to some more custom painted helmets that one of the members ( Blue Streak) posted a while back. Some of them are really incredible, a couple are just hilarious. :p
http://www.superbikeclub.com/cgi-gallery/gallery.cgi?direct=Pictures/Helmets

Jalle, that JOFA helmet is so.... black. And so many... straps! I don't think you can get more.... straps for the money! :cool:

·
Steeringdamper?? I´m strong...
123 Posts
Yes R1Champ, your eyes might water a little bit when wearing that helmet, but a can proudly announce the new multirace, extra special, high-speed, protection bar.

It´s been made after several years of research in Sweden by Jofa and round all the worlds greatest racetracks in teamwork with all the big raceteams.

Finally, the result was a lightweight, eyeprotecting, face bar that not only will stop those eyes from watering but olso keeps the big bugs out of you face when riding on warm summer evenings.

Just look at the beauty:
:D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

·
1,894 Posts
Man you have all sorts of accessories for that thing...now lets see you make it so you don't freeze to death in the winter;) :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts