Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Bald headed dork
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a few questions about the installation of some new grips that I bought. I bought the Pro Grip 719 grips since so many guys here recommended them. I also bought a tube of Pro Grip grip glue. However, the small pamphlet that came with the grips says the following: Apply soapy water or alcohol to the outside of the handle and the inside of the grip. Slide the grip over the bar, twisting and pushing.

So far so good. Then it says if the grips came with glue (which these did not) to apply the glue to the handle and the inside of the grip. Then slide the grip on the handle, twisting and pushing.

So which method should I use? I know some folks use hair spray instead of either method. Still other just shove them on with the help of some compressed air. Which method should I use? I want them to be installed properly, but I don’t want them to be a real PITA if I need to replace them later on.

Suggestions? I’m leaning towards the alcohol method, BTW.

Thanks,
Scott

·
U want some of THIS?
648 Posts
hey scott, i've actually used both methods.

alcohol method is good if you have some glue left in the bike clip ons. the grip might not stick at much if there's no glue there.

hairspray method is quite good. slippery in the beginning, and after it dries, it's quite stable.

grip glue is good too, very very slippery and you know it'll hold.

you can't go wrong with the last two. i hope that helps.

·