Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
The Don
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started going to the gym, and I need some help with a routine-dilly.

I can easily push 300lb with my legs, but my arms I can only do about 70lb. (That's not free weights, it's the bicep/tricep machine dilly). So anyways...I'd like to start doing free weights as well, and was wondering if anyone could help me out a bit.

·
Until it sleeps
5,432 Posts
So what all do u need help with? Its kinda hard to demonstrate form on different lifts over the internet ;)

Or did u want some kind of lifting routine? What goals do u have?

·
Super Moderator
21,675 Posts
Why don't ya just go out and buy one of the Bow Flex thing a ma
jigies. Then you could stay at home and surf the R1 forum while
working out and drinking one of these. :beer

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
Dammit phos , you make me sick. Ok sit down and start writin........

First you're gonna be on a split so take the rest of this week off and prepare for next week.

Very important. The express lane on the road to injury is bad preparation. You must warm up your muscles in the same way that you idle your bike till it's up to temp. Second, you're gonna need a decent ( Not cheap and good for years, my current gloves are 3 yrs old.) pair of gloves , a pair of lifting straps and a belt ( Don't be a smartass, you know which one. )

Personally I like to start with the strongest body parts and work to the weakest for efficiency. And since I'm giving you this I call my own shot.

Day 1 LEGS
1. 20 machine leg extensions at minimal weight (50% max)
2. SQUAT 4x 10-12 reps
3. WIDE STANCE LEG PRESS 4x10-12 reps
4. STIFF LEGGED DEADLIFT 4x10-12 reps ( using straps )
5. LYING LEG CURL 4x10-12
6. STANDING CALF RAISES 4x 20 * Last set to failure.
7. SEATED CALF RAISES 4x 20 " " " "
8. MAKE IT HOME WITHOUT THROWING UP.

Day 2. CHEST

1. 5min treadmill at 3.5-4mph for warmup .
2. Broomstick stretches for pectoral area.
3. FLAT BENCH WARMUP SET X 12 TO 20 REPS
4. WORKING SETS
FLAT BENCH 4 X 8-12
INCLINE BENCH 4 X 8-12
DECLINE BENCH 4 X8-12
FLYES 4 X 8-12

DAY 3 REST

DAY 4 BACK

1. WARMUP ON THE TREADMILL 5 MIN AT 3.5MPH
2. WIDE GRIP OVERHAND CHINS 4X FAILURE.
3. DUMBELL ROWS 4 X 10-12
4. SEATED CABLE PULLEY ROWS 4 X 10-12
5. FRONT DELT RAISES 4 X 8-12
6. SEATED REAR DELT RAISES 4 X 8-12
7. BARBELL SHRUGS 4X 8-12

DAY 5 ARMS

1. TREADMILL WARMUP 5MIN AT 3.5-4MPH
2. BARBELL STANDING CURLS
3. EZ CURL BAR PREACHER CURLS
4. ROPE CURLS
5. REVERSE CABLE PULLEY CURLS
6. STRAIGHT BAR TRICEPS PUSHDOWNS
7. ROPE TRICEPS PULLDOWNS
8. REVERSE CABLE EXTENSIONS

DAYS 6 AND 7 : REST

****** Watching your weights........ In order to determine the amount of weight you should be using. Use the amount of weight that will allow you to complete a set for the desired amount of reps in perfect form. If you can do 12 reps of a weight and you only want to do 10 then add some pounds. You'll also have to mix it up so you don't adapt to a set program. Right now you're missing Deadlift (BACK DAY) and Front military presses ( CHEST DAY ) but when your strength and coordination is up you should immediately slide them in . During the first six weeks is when you'll see where and what you need to change. This was a quickee so feel free to ask questions. There are a million and one ways to alter any program so have fun with it.

·
Dis Microphone Explodes
3,064 Posts
solidus, great write up...

have you always worked out each muscle only once per week or have you ever worked them twice?

this is my current work out schedule, but coincidentally, i am changing it up to a routine similar to the one that you just posted. for now, this is it:

Monday: Chest, tris...
Tuesday: Back, biceps, shoulders...
Wednesday: Legs
Thursday: Chest, tris...
Friday: Back, biceps, shoulders...

I do sets of 8-6-4 with the most intense weight possible. I'm a hargainer and do low reps for mass. i also have to eat like an animal for a month to put on an eighth of a pound :lol

you think it might be a better idea to follow a routine similar to yours for mass gaining?

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
Haha phos. The real important thing is that you're actually pushing weight and you're getting rest in between body parts. Ideally you want to give the parts a weeks rest . The split I gave you separates the back , chest , arms and legs. But in reality a better split would be to do back and biceps, chest and triceps , and then legs. That would give you a three day split with plenty rest in between. Working the muscle twice is good if you are an easy gainer but if you gain hard it could overtrain you causing atrophy ( reversal of growth ). Just remember to eat good and get your rest and let go on the cardio for a bit. Good luck bro. I want pics in 6 weeks.

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
Kid , if you're a hardgainer then drop the second workouts and take the rest instead. We must have been on a mind meld for your last post. Also the heavy weight thing is great but cycle it for two to three weeks at a time and up the reps to confuse your body. Your intensity is building your nervous system up but you also want to hit both types of fibers ( Fast and slow twitch ). Good job mang.

K

·
0 Posts
hey guys,...i dont want to hijack this thread, but what about a killer ab workout. i have a little gut and love handels that ive been trying to get rid of for a while, does anyone have any techniques to ensure that i can get the best results possible.

·
Dis Microphone Explodes
3,064 Posts
nice, thanks alot man...i will definitely take advice from someone who's benching over 400 :lol

hehe, just playin...but thanks for the advice and i'm going to switch up the reps like you suggested...it makes sense, and i have tried it before, but never consistently. as of monday, i'll try for a program similar to yours.

so you think i'll put on mass more quickly by doing one muscle per week?

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
Every cool persons worst enemy is "BROWN ADIPOSE TISSUE" = GUT AND LOVEHANDLES. It's all diet man. Everyone has a six pack underneath a layer of fat. Sure crunches , situps and leglifts will strengthen and tone the muscle , but only a good diet and adequate cardio will make them shine through. I just recently started to touch on my ab work again due to the abs becoming unruly. But my bodybuilder buddies don't even do ab work at all until 12 weeks out from a contest.

·
Dis Microphone Explodes
3,064 Posts
by the way, i'm 6'2 and 155 pounds...i have a 29 inch waist and a 42 inch chest. but i'm really cut up and have gotten real strong. but i'm still a stick! :lol

my goal is to be 175 pounds and RIPPED. i also recently got up to db pressing 90 on each hand (8 times) and my goal is to be up to the 100's by christmas. so switching up my program and trying new things might help me attain my goal :)

in my opinion, having a goal for yourself is the best thing for people who work out.

·
Registered
242 Posts
If that dude follows that routine as he is just starting.........he is going to feel like total shit for quite a few days:2bitchsla . You need to start out very light and work your way up so that you dont hurt yourself. I dont mean anything bad by this but it sounds like you might be a lightweight(300 isnt really that much for a leg press or a squat). Just begin light and increase the intensity of your workouts as you become more accustomed to your body.:fact . I hope this helps and good luck with the lifting.:boobies

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
Kid Loops said:
nice, thanks alot man...i will definitely take advice from someone who's benching over 400 :lol

hehe, just playin...but thanks for the advice and i'm going to switch up the reps like you suggested...it makes sense, and i have tried it before, but never consistently. as of monday, i'll try for a program similar to yours.

so you think i'll put on mass more quickly by doing one muscle per week?
Yup. Look at it like digging a hole.......... Every time you work out you take away resources and destroy muscle tissue. ( digging out dirt ). While you rest and eat your body replaces what you pulled out of it and adapts by adding a little more. ( filling the hole and putting one more scoop on to tamp it down ) . If you work our too much then you'll be taking out more than your body can put back in leaving a hole in deficit ( overtraining ) . If you rest more it give's the body time to not only compensate but to overcompensate ( hypertrophy =growth ) . Long answer but yes , the more time between sets ( within reason ) the better the growth.

·
The Don
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
joe_bear60 said:
If that dude follows that routine as he is just starting.........he is going to feel like total shit for quite a few days:2bitchsla . You need to start out very light and work your way up so that you dont hurt yourself. I dont mean anything bad by this but it sounds like you might be a lightweight(300 isnt really that much for a leg press or a squat). Just begin light and increase the intensity of your workouts as you become more accustomed to your body.:fact . I hope this helps and good luck with the lifting.:boobies
Hey, yeah. I realize that. But I am 16 and still growing, and I haven't done much weights before this. :hellobye

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
joe_bear60 said:
:lol Joe, that's why I included the part about using a weight that you can handle with perfect form for the set amount of reps. And hey everytime I take a layoff and get back on the train I feel like crap. :eek: . Makes us old guys feel like we did something. On another note. Never work a muscle that's sore from the previous workout . And if you're feeling sick ie cold , flu or SARS then stay home and recover first.

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
Phoshious said:
Hey, yeah. I realize that. But I am 16 and still growing, and I haven't done much weights before this. :hellobye
Phos , if you keep it up you'll be "SWOLE" before you know it. When I was 16 I was 5'8" 135lbs. Now I'm 5'9" and I range between 205 and 215 depending on how much of a crap I've had.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts