Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As far as I am concerned the Akrapovic slip-ons/full system looks the best of the after market exhausts. However... price comes into it unles you are in the top level of racers. So want a low cost option? I do... which is why I'm going to do the following.

Buy the Akrapovic slip-ons with the "Y" junction and mod the Ex-up. It looks like you can pull the Ex-up apart and cut (grind) away the butterfly to a thin rod so the Ex-up has zero effect at any RPM. Instant Ex-up elimination. Based on the minimal power increase from a full system (3HP top end/a bit more mid-range) Yamaha has done a great job with the stock headers. If you eliminate the Ex-up in some way (as above or simply cut it out and replace it with a piece of titanium tube), fit the slip-ons and you have a full system for around half price.

Makes sense? Comments welcome. My 04 hasn't arrive yet but that's what I intend doing. Slip-ons and mod the Ex-up. The more I think about it the more I think I'll simply get a piece of tube inserted in place of the Ex-up.

·
Thriller
3,610 Posts
Doesn't the EXUP serve a purpose though? I would figure you are just going to lose some low-end grunt. Not worth it in my opinion. I guess it depends what type of riding you're doing.

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,870 Posts
I'd leave the EXUP if I were you. It has no effect on top end power and greatly increases low end torque. They didn't spend big $$ engineering it for nothing...

- BA

·
Hang out with my wang out!!!!
188 Posts
i dont think taking out the exup is a good idea its there for a reason.

ONCE AGAIN I WANT TO TELL EVERYONE DONT BUY THAT YPIPE OR MIDPIPE ITS A RIP OFF ITS JUST A PIPE WITH NO CAT YOU CAN BREAK THE CAT OUT WITH A FREAKIN SCREW DRIVER ITS VERY EASY AND VERY SIMPLE TAKES ALL OF A HALF HOUR WHEN YOU INSTALL YOUR SLIP ONS JUST REMOVE IT ITS VERY EASY ONCE YOUR SLIP ONS ARE OFF ITS ONLY ONE MORE BOLT AND THE MIDPIPE COMES OUT.

JUST THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE

·
Blue is faster!
305 Posts
What about the extra space in the Y pipe with the cat removed? Won't that make a differnce for the worse as well? I don't know but I'm sure someone can answer that

1 - 6 of 6 Posts