Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has to be one of the stupidest questions that I could possibly ask however this is very irritating. I have replaced my handle grips and on the throttle side every time I go and ut the bar end on the throttle sticks wherever I leave as if it had cruise control. this is my second time messing this up and I do all my own mods. I applied glue to the inside of the grips made a half turn and left them on for over 8 hrs. Now all I have is cruicse control again and it is really pissing me off. What are the best grips to get. Are these aftermarket gel grips junk? and is my install in correct has anyone had this prob. PLEASE HELP. Or make suggestiosn for ref:machinegu to f*cking aftermarket handle grips. Chris

· This...is a...a...suck!
1,268 Posts
I have noticed on other bikes that I have had that, depending on the grips this will happen unless you completely cut off the end of the grip. Not sure if this is the case with all the aftermarket grips, but the gel ones that I have gotten this has happened.

The only ones that I have seen that do not need to be cut are the ones in the following link.

http://ariete.eroom.it/layout/layou...=PRODUCT&LAYOUT=harris#MENU3SUBMENU8TINDEX149

Good luck.
:thumbup

· Registered
778 Posts
I have the same YZF grips that Jstbecauz does and have no problem with sticking.

I put them on in the winter myself and did not glue them. They do not make my throttle stick.

They are the only ones on this bike I have put on so I cannot speak to other brands.

I have never had a problem with aftermarket grips (i.e., Grab ons, etc..) with other bikes I have owned.

:bs

· My R1 eats my money!
34 Posts
when i changed my grips,i took off the throttle assy.cleaned with alchohol(bar and throttle tube),glued ,sit for six hrs and reinstalled.oh,don't forget to grease your bar or the inside of throttle tube,either one will work.mine needed it anyway('99).the pro grip gels are a bit longer than the stock grips.i too did not notice this until i put everything back together and got a little sticking.all i did was cut off that little plastic donut between the inside of grip and throttle cable housing.that freed up about an 1/8".no sticking.remeber this though,if you glue,you need to pull that throttle tube off or the glue will set up at the end of it and the bar.hope this helps.i used honda grip glue,it's thick and sets almost immediately.:thumbup

· My pastime
111 Posts
I put on some Pro-Grip grips and I did not glue. I used an air nozzle slid it in the end of the grip and pulled the trigger on the air nozzle and the grip blew up to about a 2 inch diameter and then I was able to slide the grip anywhere that I wanted, then took the air nozzle out and presto, perfect grips with no glue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.