Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I BRAPP BECAUSE I CARE!
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 05 R1 with Graves slip-on's and y-pipe. A few weeks ago i was up in the canyons and heard and felt a WHACK from underneath my seat. I pulled the clutch in and coasted untill i found a safe place to pull off. I got off and started to look my bike over....Took me a second but i realized there was two wires hanging from where the Plate bracket used to be (Plate light leads)...as i circled around back i found my mangled plate still conected to the FUBAR bracket firmly wedged between the y-pipe and the shattered hugger. I also received a nice assorment of dings and a large dent in my Y-pipe and Cans. :no Its a good idea to use blue loc-tite on the plate bracket bolts and i did upon re-assembly of the new bracket along with some lock-nuts. Bought a new hugger on Flea bay for cheep. I had to do just about everything but run over my plate with a steamroller to get it flat again...Now i really want to try and get the dent out of my can and i have heard from some people that you can flip the cans and prestooo the dents are now on top and cannot be seen. Problem with this is i have the angled tiped graves cans so i would have to flip the end caps as well. I was thinking its not all that bad and if i can take the one with the dent in it apart i could prob pop it out and live with it like that. This way i would only have to drill out one can and not have to switch stickers and worry about the spring loops lining up. Any Suggestions? Thanks in advance...

·
Vendor
251 Posts
I've got an 05 R1 with Graves slip-on's and y-pipe. A few weeks ago i was up in the canyons and heard and felt a WHACK from underneath my seat. I pulled the clutch in and coasted untill i found a safe place to pull off. I got off and started to look my bike over....Took me a second but i realized there was two wires hanging from where the Plate bracket used to be (Plate light leads)...as i circled around back i found my mangled plate still conected to the FUBAR bracket firmly wedged between the y-pipe and the shattered hugger. I also received a nice assorment of dings and a large dent in my Y-pipe and Cans. :no Its a good idea to use blue loc-tite on the plate bracket bolts and i did upon re-assembly of the new bracket along with some lock-nuts. Bought a new hugger on Flea bay for cheep. I had to do just about everything but run over my plate with a steamroller to get it flat again...Now i really want to try and get the dent out of my can and i have heard from some people that you can flip the cans and prestooo the dents are now on top and cannot be seen. Problem with this is i have the angled tiped graves cans so i would have to flip the end caps as well. I was thinking its not all that bad and if i can take the one with the dent in it apart i could prob pop it out and live with it like that. This way i would only have to drill out one can and not have to switch stickers and worry about the spring loops lining up. Any Suggestions? Thanks in advance...
You can do it but it is a major pain. Better to start with new or send it back to Graves and ask them to do it for you.

Chuck

·
My R1 eats me??? What???
299 Posts
I know this works with header pipes, im not sure about the cans!! But if you take em off, fill them with water and freeze them it pushes the dent right out... sounds crazy but it does work for headers.... Now, the can beeing oval might make this not work at all, it could really fubar the can!!! im not sure, just thought i would throw out an idea... plus its been a while since you posted this so youre probably all fixed up by now, oh well

·
Premium Member
37,428 Posts
:iamwithst from the man himself, no doubt...

Take a look at my how-to on akras and I'm pretty sure the Graves setup is similar. Just shortening and then putting things back together was a real pain. But I don't know how good you are, if you're like LDHR1, then knock yourself out. If you can barely change oil, send it in.

You can do it but it is a major pain. Better to start with new or send it back to Graves and ask them to do it for you.

Chuck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.