Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this only happens in second gear, when accelerating the the bike snatches the revs build up for a split second with what seems like no drive and then regains its self causing it to slip on bends has been happening for a while but is now happening a lot more. this happens at about mid range esp when using the torque and only in second gear apart from that it runs fine. 99 model any one got any ideas before it chucks me off

·
Registered
7 Posts
Accually sounds like you might have a clutch problem that's just beginning. Might not be bad enought yet for it to effect the rest of the gears. Just my .02....

·
In search of a new motor
376 Posts
That happened to mine and I replaced the clutch. I still happened so I let it go. I took it apart over the winter. I had bent shift fork. That in turn wiped all my gears. About $800 in parts. Get it checked out or if you can do the work check it out asap. It was a costly lesson for me.

·
Registered
163 Posts
gear problem

I to have the same problem on my 2001 r1:( . at the mo it is in bits.... the gear box is fu%£d, needs a rebuild...been looking 4 a cheap replacment engine. its not a cheap job,,, advice to you is get it sorted now , it may jus be a fork bent, leave it and you may need to replace the cogs:eek: ....good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
hfatboyd said:
How would one know the difference between needing a new clutch, an extra diaphram spring, or having a bent fork? [/WHEN THE GEARS SEEM TO SLIP ,YOU CAN PUT IT DOWN TO THE CLUTCH,,,,,WHEN YOU GET A SNATCH , JUMP AT HIGH REVS YOU CAN DEF SAY YOU NEED TO LOOK IN THE GEAR BOX......IF YOU ARE GETTING A SLIP,[REVS HIGHER THAN THE TORQUE] YOU NEED TO ADJUST OR REPLACE THE CLUTCH....HOPE THAT HELPSQUOTE] :cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 99 R1 feels like the chain slips, in second gear only. It does it at around 7500 rpm's and if I keep on the throttle it keeps doing it every couple sec's. I know it is not the chain, but it feels like that, and just lasts a fraction of a second. What does this sound like? I've heard gear cogs, shift forks, a little spring etc. I would like to know what I am looking at, and if I can ride it the way it is, or will it lock up on me at 150 mph?

·
Registered
163 Posts
www.bikebandit.com look in oem parts...... these are what you will need to do the job properly....2nd gear wheel...$55 6th gear wheel...$70 2x collars[rollerbearings $12 each fork shift 1...$27 fork shift 5...$27 plus gaskets etc....if you do the work yourself you will save on labour...take a look at pic ...hope this helps get you back on the road,,,i no first hand what its like to be without a bike good luck.... any advice or probs during the work email me and i will do my best to help you.. [email protected] :thumbup

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
You know I am so pissed off because I just bought the bike, but with all the help you guys have been civing me, I feel a little better, thanks. Other gears and stuff are usually good? And I am guessing that I am looking at $400-$500 in parts cause I am Canadian.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts