Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Seduced by the dark Side
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am half way through fitting my Arrow Y pipe (cat remover) and my cans, going o.k but there was no fitting kit with the Y pipe, i.e no clamp for where the Y Pipe meets the mid pipe, nor was the an 8 mm nut to bolt the 2 section Y pipe to the brace at the bottom, no problen as just went to the tool box, It looks a tight fit and seal, but am I right to asume it does not need a clamp on the bootom of the cat, the cat did? If there are any other Arrow users out there, info appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
martins said:
I am half way through fitting my Arrow Y pipe (cat remover) and my cans, going o.k but there was no fitting kit with the Y pipe, i.e no clamp for where the Y Pipe meets the mid pipe, nor was the an 8 mm nut to bolt the 2 section Y pipe to the brace at the bottom, no problen as just went to the tool box, It looks a tight fit and seal, but am I right to asume it does not need a clamp on the bootom of the cat, the cat did? If there are any other Arrow users out there, info appreciated
Hi, I have a Arrow full system on my 2004 R1.
As you mentioned, indeed there is no clamp or spring(s)
where the Y-joint meets the midpipe.

·
rainman 998
14 Posts
Y pipe replacement

Hi,
I am thinking about replacing my Y pipe but keeping the stock exhaust, either Akrapovic or Arrow.
Would be grateful if you could tell me about the advantages or youe experience with this mod
Thanks.

·
24 Liters
14,348 Posts
You need a clamp at the bottom of the y-pipe. Stock clamps will attach it to the 2 "branch" pipes.

You won't feel any power gains but you will notice reduced heat on your ankles. The Akra y-pipe is the only one I know of that works with stock cans. I'm sure there are others.

Good luck.

·
rainman 998
14 Posts
You need a clamp at the bottom of the y-pipe. Stock clamps will attach it to the 2 "branch" pipes.

You won't feel any power gains but you will notice reduced heat on your ankles. The Akra y-pipe is the only one I know of that works with stock cans. I'm sure there are others.

Good luck.
I take it to mean that I would have to get my own clamp where the end of the Y-pipe meets the main pipe. Yes?

Thanks,

Erik

·
24 Liters
14,348 Posts
I take it to mean that I would have to get my own clamp where the end of the Y-pipe meets the main pipe. Yes?

Thanks,

Erik

Correct. The Akrapovic Y-Pipe comes with a clamp, but you could easily find one at your local hardware store. It's just a simple airplane style clamp...nothing fancy. I would buy one that is made of something that won't rust since it is located in an exposed area.

Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts