Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· My R1 eats my gurda
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be receiving new head bearing and head races.. (both bearings and the races inside the frame, to punch out)

What do you guys recommend me to ease the job?

Ive heard of: put the races in the freezer then heat them up with a torch so they fit easier. any other ideas? dos and donts?

thanks

ps: I will be making my own socket to torque the upper stem bearings.. so thats no problem. Plus i got a 36 socket to tq the stem nut...

· THE MAN
3,750 Posts
you put the new races in the freezer to help shrink them. No need for hours in there, about 10-20min will work fine.

after you get the old races out and clean up everything, you can use a small propane torch to heat the neack area where the races sit. heating the metal will expand it slightly.

with the neck expanded, and the new races shrunk they will go in EASIER.

They won't drop in, but it will be easier.

This is an important job, and needs to be done correctly.

· My R1 eats my gurda
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok and use a big flat screw driver and a hammer to push the old races out, i guess? Now i need a trick to push them in.. what should i use and do?

i just tap all around the circle and it will come out? Can i use normal bearing grease? its green and not that heavy..

Do i need to change anything else while doing the job? I've seen on the repair manual to change some rubber things. And also to check the outside races.. the ones not in the frame lol.

I just bought 2 races and 2 bearings as a cheap kit on ebay. Will probably be here in 2 weeks, if not 3.

· Life is better on a R1
1,087 Posts

· Life is better on a R1
1,087 Posts
Wow look at the price.. for once in a lifetime its not worth 150$

I guess ill find another ghetto way
Well, you don't really need to buy the whole set. They sell them individually to, as you can see on the bottom of the page - $30 for the 14" one for instance.

They work great. Invest in tools, nothing is once in a lifetime.

Derek

· My R1 eats my gurda
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah well ive just been recommended to heat the neck to expend the metal where the inner races go.. oh by the way, changing to taper bearings would not require outer races to be changed, right?

the kit i got only included 2 bearings and 2 inner races

thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.