Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
X_Infantry
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I took my bike out of commission alittle early this year so I can get a good start on the winter down time mods... I wasnt really planning on messing w/ the engine this winter but as I was waiting on Shane w/ my first order I decided to remove that freakin left over secondary throttle body rod from the valve removal mod... What a bastard of a job - Decided to take the entire throttle body assembly out to work with it...

As I was looking at the bike w/ the TBs out - I could not stop thinking about tearing into the head... So I decided to drop some $$$$ into getting the head ported & polished w/ a thinner head gasket to start...

I was wondering what you guys would do if you had the flow (what would you do with the engine) ?

http://www.leesperformance.com/pages/machine

:fork

·
Custom User Title? How much?
1,032 Posts
I think there is another member on here, maybe Motomummy, that uses Lee's and he had nothing but great things to say about him.

But what I'm curious for is the turn around time. 3-5 weeks?Months?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
when is the turbo going to be ouy for the 04-06 models? I'd get that first w/ port & polish/ cams/valves/ bored out cylinders/ lowerer compression pistons(higher compression if your dont want a turbo)/ rods/rings

·
i ride it, it dont ride me
271 Posts
i have wanted to prt polish my heads on my 05 but people say to leave it cuz its made to run the way it is. will it mess the engine up or will it only do good to it

·
Bone Stock....for now....
460 Posts
dxextreme said:
i have wanted to prt polish my heads on my 05 but people say to leave it cuz its made to run the way it is. will it mess the engine up or will it only do good to it
Along those same lines if your warranty is still in affect or better/worse you purchased an extended warranty it would be null and void plus depending on how long you keep the bike you might want to figure in a rebuld or two...I'm no "real" mechanic...lol... which would be some $$...obviously less if you can do it yourself. Resale value could suffer as the average or below average biker may not want to touch a bike that's been "tinkered" with in such a way...just a few things I thought of off the top of my head so to speak.

If you don't care about the above I would go for it. Me personally, a turbo kit would do just fine.....:yesnod

·
Premium Member
23,060 Posts
dxextreme said:
there is more to porting than going at it with a grinder and some sand paper drums....to get the correct performance you need a flow bench, a wet flow bench would even be better, without either, more than likely you will make it worse,

·
Rotten Degenerate
1,711 Posts
Aron213 said:
there is more to porting than going at it with a grinder and some sand paper drums....to get the correct performance you need a flow bench, a wet flow bench would even be better, without either, more than likely you will make it worse,
Agreed...you would have a better chance of putting a monkey behind a keyboard and having it bang out "War and Peace" than you would if you try to port and polish with no experience whatsoever.

·
i ride it, it dont ride me
271 Posts
o yea just so u all know iam a factory snocross racer so id get it done right and for free but iam just wondering if it would screw the engine

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.