Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my bike running again it runs like a dream now with a new front and back sprocket a new chain and a new back tire….So My Headlights decided to stop working…so obviously I checked my fuse , the fuse is still OK.. the high beams do work but the low beams do not work I have a 2006 Yamaha r1…what the front door is going on..? Please and thank you I appreciate all of the help I get here….can someone please sprinkle some magic over my way… good lookin out…

·
Nevermore
1,328 Posts
Check the large connector under the right side fairing.

·
Is there anybody out there?
4,411 Posts
If you look at the schematic, you'll see the headlight relay feeds both low and high so you know your relay is working because the highs come on. Has to be bulbs or connector. Get yourself a multimeter and start poking around at the headlight plug. Do you have the service manual?

Mark

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got my bike running again it runs like a dream now with a new front and back sprocket a new chain and a new back tire….So My Headlights decided to stop working…so obviously I checked my fuse , the fuse is still OK.. the high beams do work but the low beams do not work I have a 2006 Yamaha r1…what the front door is going on..? Please and thank you I appreciate all of the help I get here….can someone please sprinkle some magic over my way… good lookin out…
So
bad plug left side wing?
bad plug left side wing?? Can you please translate?? I don’t understand what you mean “bad plug left side wing??”

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check the large connector under the right side fairing.
Check the large connector under right side fairing what am I checking for I don’t understand what I am checking for ?? I don’t want to take off my right side fairing and not know what I am looking for…. I don’t wanna come across like a jerk but I just don’t understand I need a better understanding of what I’m looking for what I’m trying to figure out …am I figuring out that there’s a bad connection or is there a loose wire …what am I looking for that’s what I’m trying to get at

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you look at the schematic, you'll see the headlight relay feeds both low and high so you know your relay is working because the highs come on. Has to be bulbs or connector. Get yourself a multimeter and start poking around at the headlight plug. Do you have the service manual?

Mark
No i do not have a service manual, you have been the biggest help… I will get a multi meter and start poking around the head light plug… the bulbs look ok … they don’t look burnt.. I dunno u tell me

·
Administrator
25,215 Posts
Download the service manual:

·
Is there anybody out there?
4,411 Posts
No i do not have a service manual, you have been the biggest help… I will get a multi meter and start poking around the head light plug… the bulbs look ok … they don’t look burnt.. I dunno u tell me
Kevap gave you a link to the manual. Schematic is on the last page. You'll see that the same power that runs through your headlight relay supplies your brights and since you have brights... I would check for 12V between your black and black/green wires on your headlight plugs and go from there.

Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jus like a car, ur low is out but hi beam work. U need new headlight bulb thats all. Go with led bulbs

·
Registered
65 Posts
On 04-05, the most common cause of this is under the right side (right side as you’re sitting on the bike) fairing. There’s a large wiring harness connector with 10+ wires connecting, which has a power wire feeding power to the headlights. It’s susceptible to having issues when the resistance gets too high, which cooks the wire and the connector.

if that’s the case on yours, the problem will be fairly obvious if you unplug the connector and one of the connections - and the plastic around it - looks blackened.

On mine, I bought a new WeatherPak connector on Amazon, cut out the burned wires, and replaced them with new, higher-gauge wire soldered onto the old wire.

Reactions: jsp1990

·
Registered
65 Posts
The headlights work jus the low beam dont. Id start with replacing the bulbs before messing with wires. He is getting power cause high beam works
Oh thanks for the clarification. Obviously I was having a hard time understanding that!

Reactions: jsp1990
1 - 20 of 21 Posts