Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm a small engine mechanic for things like lawn mowers and pressure washers. I bought a used '05 R1 that was specced for track racing thinking I just needed to add turn signals and mirrors. This is the first thing bigger than a tiller that I've worked on but so far, I'm confident this isn't crazy different, just bigger.

I noticed one night the headlights didn't want to come on, only the running lights. I got my hand on a service manual (pdf) and some exploded view diagrams (partszilla) and started some hands on discovery on the bike.

Now, I largely can do my job on symptom diag and odd man out but that usually works best when you know how things work to begin with which leads me to a few questions.

(TL;DR)

1) On a 2005 Yamaha R1, are the headlights on while the key is in the on position or only when the engine is running?

2) Is there some sort of when the engine is turned off, headlights will remain on for a short period of time mechanic?

3) I've read some posts here referring to 2 separate relays on regards to the head lights, one for the dimmer and one for the headlights themselves, however I don't see 2 on the tech manual?

4) Is the term, 'dimmer' misleading since the 'dimmer' just seems to turn on the high beams?

My issue: headlights only seen to be on whenever they want to be on.

When they come on, they seem to work fine. No flickering or dimming, so minimal loose connections or battery consumption issues.

No other electrical issues OTHER than I've had to jump the bike twice since discovering the problem twice, once was a cold start when I was moving the bike to look at the wiring. I did keep trying until the starter was clicking, I put that on me. The second time was the next day when i was butt splicing a wire that was cut from it's harness.

The wire cut was the R/Y which I found to be headlight power source and I guess one of the previous owners wanted it on a switch but the connection was just wire twisted with electrical tape. I cut off the copper, stripped a bit, then spliced them with a butt splice. I thought the problem was solved as the lights came on while the engine was running but while I was replacing the fairings, engine off, bike on, the headlights turned off. Had to jump the battery after to start it.

When the headlights fail while the high beams are on, the high beam indicator light will not turn off. Even if I toggle the dimmer switch, shut off the bike and turn it back on, etc. I'm unsure if it will do the same thing if it fails with low beams strictly.

The high beam indicator seems to remain on even if the headlights never turned on during the current ride but failed during the previous.

The issue doesn't resolve by wiggling any wires or harnesses or any sort of jostling.

Based on those symptoms, I think the culprit is a failing relay for the entirety of the headlights which I think, based on the parts diagram 'Electrical 2' part 26 on partszilla, is located inside the nose. At the time of writing, I have not removed the fairings and verified as this will take some time and we are currently in holiday season, but I was hoping for some guidance on the issue before proceeding.

Sorry for the long post.

Edit: Adding screenshots

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just like you. I just tinker with other toys so I'm not too keen on this bike, but someone will chime in about the lights timing itself out. I'll attempt your Q's in the generic:
1. Back in the day, lights were a two step key, meaning, lgn only, then one more click for lights. Highway safety act brings in the 'lights on day time,' so the factories sort of killed two birds by using a relay to remain off upon electric start, then the relay is now locked to stay on all the time.

2. Technically no. Think about it... drain battery for what reason key off? Check that wire diagram about you repairing two wires that are not attached to each other, unless they are the same color wire?

3. Back to the wire diagram and see how both tie into hi and low beam using two relays. It may show up as two relays next to each other, then see each going to two sets of headlights in the nose. Something like that.

4. Right. it's just saying here is this same-same relay for both jobbers doing the opposite. If say the euro models with what I've seen are 'passing' push switches, but this is a western model import so back to both relays used as a switch to hold/shut off, etc.

Again, here is where I lack R/Y as to what color designates who that is? This computer will not open the pdf to the shop manual or we'd move right along. These are more guesses until someone comes to clean it up some. So right now, I'd disconnect the splice of two different colored wires? What jobber is in between those two wires if a sensor/switch/relay goes there? Doubt a single wire, but you get what I mean.

Obviously, you'll find what is called a 'joint' in the manual? It's the manufactures not stepping on each others nomenclature. Said another way, a 'join' together of all the grounds to one eyelet coming out of the main wire harness and all those going to ground on the frame. Say join-1 is 12v grounds, and then there are the sensor grounds and that j-2 set of grounds. And there you go to the headlights and see those sets of grounds all tied into the lights will be the 12v wire carrier to ground. Now you know both grounds... generic look see having no manual, walk up to any computer bike.

Back to knowing this product I don't. Now look at your splice job and did you tie in ground to whom? Is that is WATT is keeping the lights on fandango with fob off?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I know for a fact that the R/Y wire is headlight on/off which is power supply. I took the wiring diagram from the tech manual to a master electrician and he showed me how to read it and confirmed that fact. The wire was cut out of the harness that goes to the front end wiring harness and spliced it back together. The only reasonable reason to do this is to add some sort of switch in between which seems to be a common desire on showy bikes so they can run em but not blind people at meets. At least according to google research.

This means all I'm doing is splicing the wires together just as the harness would have done. If it were appropriately grounded before, what I did shouldn't have altered that. Although the goal was originally to separate the harness, remove the cut wire ends and appropriately reattach the existing wire to that harness, but I couldn't get the thing apart to do so so butt splice it was lol.

The master electrician coworker of mine seems to agree that it is likely a relay, but he doesn't work on a lot of bikes and said I should ask around for more info. Absent of anything that would cause the lights to behave abnormally, it is a relay.

·
Registered
22 Posts
does the speedoligt come on/off to ? could be relay, its lokated behind left side fairing.. try to "hit it" ;-) ( had same on my 07, looks like you relay are other place ? )
from partcatalog 07 but seen 05 looksalike'ish
White Organ Organism Font Rectangle

edit: model info

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: so we found the problem. There's a black wire in the wiring harness that goes to the lights that is somehow damaged. When we push it, the lights will turn on. We can either jump past the harness or we can cut it and splice it past the harness but it is definitely the culprit. My cousin found it after I was telling him what was going on and he had the same issue on his 01 R1 years ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts