Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This month's sport rider magaizine compairs the big 4 litter class models. Those bing the R1 , GSXR, 1000rr, and the New Kawasaki. The four page article talks in detail about the differences about the bikes. The only real poor point that the magazine made about the R1 was about the heat generated. That thier riders were uncomportable due to the excessive heat not directed away from the rider. I live in Phoenix AZ were the summer gets around 120 F or 44 C which every you prefer. This is a factor that is weighing my choice between the 04 R1 or 03 GSXr, the 03 because the breaks on the 04 model changed and was made worse instead of better.

· Phoenix to L.A. in 3 hours...
2,818 Posts
This is troubling to me as well. It's hot enough in the summer with my R6, I can't imagine a bike that has heat issues on top of that. I would get to my destination with a soaking wet ass crack, unexceptable. :no

· Moving Chicane
773 Posts
Dont worry about the GSXR brakes, its all in the crappy factory pads. Replace them and they work fine.

The 03 and 04 gix brakes both sucked when stock, just in slightly different ways. They did not change them for the reason they put in that BS article.

· Registered
358 Posts
I live in Tempe, AZ, and just got my 04 last week. I know it's been fairly cool here lately, but I don't feel any heat coming up while rolling, and only occasionally while stopped at a light. Even then, it's barely noticable, thru my Joe Rocket mesh pants. Maybe in June it will be uncomfortable, but so far it isn't a problem.

Whichever bike you get, shop around, then compare the best price here with the price you get from Honda East of Toledo. I saved over a $1000.

· My R1 eats bugs.
64 Posts
It hasn't been warm enough here for me to notice any problem with heat, but for those that have has anyone tried adding some extra heat shielding in strategic areas? Even aluminum foil will work surprisingly well if you can install it without tearing it.

· your mom looks hot
121 Posts
bike runs much cooler after cat was removed. i ditched the stock cans and added graves slips which replaces the y pipe (cat). i no longer feel nearly as much heat as i did with the stock y pipe.

by the way, the word you're looking for is unacceptable, not unexceptable. the latter isn't a word, which is unacceptable.

· R1
153 Posts
I just found out how hot it did get. The weather is around 70 degrees today and i was on all highway. Only thing on my mind when i was riding is, dang my shins is on fire or something.
I'm affraid how 80's or 90's degree weather will feel....

· 2004 R1 RED
10 Posts
You don't really feel the heat coming from the pipe, but the mid engine itself. City traffic sucks. Bike loves, scratch that, requires the open road.... It has only been in the low 80's here, I can't imagine when it gets into the upper 90's. Ouch. Will have some nice looking hairless legs.

· PWN3R
1,366 Posts
I had heat issues with my 02 but it was due to engine overheating, not exhaust. I think 5 valves are the factor that contributes to the engine heating so rapidly. But its harmless :) best solution is not to ride in city of cagers :)

· Phoenix to L.A. in 3 hours...
2,818 Posts
by the way, the word you're looking for is unacceptable, not unexceptable. the latter isn't a word, which is unacceptable.
Thanks teacher. Didn't know this was www.grammar-forum.com :finger

Hey CapnCarl, where did you get your R1? I got my R6 from Town and Country and they jerked me around for about 3 weeks. And all said and done, didn't give me a track day or frame sliders which they said they would. :mad:

· WERA/CCS #217
5,987 Posts
Trade me your 04 for my 02.. and then quit bytching..

problem solved..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.