Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Forum Moderator
32,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many is to many? I have a set of Sc-1s on my ZX-10. I have 4 trackdays on them and they still look great. I used warmers for all 4 days and all the runs were at VIR. There is no bluing at all..... Hell the tires look like they have 1 session on them. I guess I need to pick it up a notch or 3... but in the mean time for all you tire guys do you think they would be alright for a double at Jennings in Feb. These are the Pirelli Dragon Slicks.

·
on the track
1,270 Posts
Dunno Scott, I've pushed my race rubber 4 and 5 days w/ no warmers, but eventually I come to the point where I just say rubber is cheaper than bike/body parts and nothing like confidence in new shoes. Then again I'm not totally comfortable w/ things slipin out and getting squirrelly.

Your fronts prob good for another day or two. I'm surprised the right side of the rear isn't eaten alive from VIR, step it up!!!

On another note, I just got some new chicken hawks and me and a buddy are probably heading down to Jennings this month for the 3 day event(29,30,31). I've never ridden there, but I've been itching to get out on the track recently. :)

·
04 R1 parts for sale
1,594 Posts
Theres no exact line to when it's too many, but I assure you that 4 track days is past the line.

I used 2 sets of SC1's for 2 races at the GNF...(18 laps) They were still good, but not as perfect as a new set.

Pirelli's are on a very predictable downhill glideslope to slippage as the laps add up.

·
Forum Moderator
32,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

Congrats on those warmers!!!

·
Drinking Colt 45's with Lando
6,078 Posts
Remeber what Kinsey told us? It's an old wives tale.

From what I have seen, tire wear is more important than Heat cycling. And it isn't like you cross a magical line and they are junk. They gradually go away.

Besides, 4 track days on one set? Have you been riding like a girl scott? jk,jk.

Anywho, if they are still holdin, I'd keep running them. When they start to get shitty, take em off.

·
Drinking Colt 45's with Lando
6,078 Posts
Oh, but for a double at Jennnings I'd buy another set, and save these for when you come to Beaver Run.

·
Forum Moderator
32,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Remeber what Kinsey told us? It's an old wives tale.

From what I have seen, tire wear is more important than Heat cycling. And it isn't like you cross a magical line and they are junk. They gradually go away.

Besides, 4 track days on one set? Have you been riding like a girl scott? jk,jk.

Anywho, if they are still holdin, I'd keep running them. When they start to get shitty, take em off.

Yeah I need to step it up a notch!

·
Banned
370 Posts
you must have stock suspension! I destroy tires between 20-30 laps (SC2s, SC1s will only last me around 15). I have Ohlins font and back and I have yet to tweek it all in perfectly, so my tires do all of the work. Hopefully the last adjustments I made will help out.

·
Track bound.
9,822 Posts
you must have stock suspension! I destroy tires between 20-30 laps (SC2s, SC1s will only last me around 15). I have Ohlins font and back and I have yet to tweek it all in perfectly, so my tires do all of the work. Hopefully the last adjustments I made will help out.

Tire wear in this sense has more to do with pace than with suspension.

·
Navigator
22 Posts
New tire...

Go get another rear tire at least. I agree your tire probably still looks good, but "if it is questionable then it is no longer a question". You will feel much better when you're on the track cracking the throttle in a 100 mph turn and you don't have to worry about your rear tire.

·
Banned
370 Posts
Tire wear in this sense has more to do with pace than with suspension.
I know, but my suspension set up was too hard and the suspension wasn't doing any of the work. My suspension mechanic laughs at me because I went out and bought top end racing internals and I ride too smooth, plus I don't weight enough to use them. I could have done just as well with stock suspension, I don't murder the brakes just before the corner, I brake early and carry the speed. I guess it's just $$$ out the window.

·
Track bound.
9,822 Posts
I know, but my suspension set up was too hard and the suspension wasn't doing any of the work. My suspension mechanic laughs at me because I went out and bought top end racing internals and I ride too smooth, plus I don't weight enough to use them. I could have done just as well with stock suspension, I don't murder the brakes just before the corner, I brake early and carry the speed. I guess it's just $$$ out the window.

I wouldn't say so at all. If you are indeed pushing the envelope of corner speed then the improved damping will be helping maintain traction. They'll also grow with you as you start progressing to heavier braking... Suspension, never a bad investment on the track.

·
Banned
370 Posts
I wouldn't say so at all. If you are indeed pushing the envelope of corner speed then the improved damping will be helping maintain traction. They'll also grow with you as you start progressing to heavier braking... Suspension, never a bad investment on the track.
Lets hope so, I can't break any harder at the moment because the rear tire picks up because the front forks are still too hard, hopefull the last change will pay off.

·
Track bound.
9,822 Posts
Lets hope so, I can't break any harder at the moment because the rear tire picks up because the front forks are still too hard, hopefull the last change will pay off.

The front forks being too stiff should actually help stop the rear from lifting. What is your rear static sag set at? If the shock is too close to being topped out, it will pick up much more quickly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.