Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a 2018 R1 a few weeks ago. I noticed a heavier than usual smell coming from the exhaust before I bought it, but I chalked it up to me not knowing the usual exhaust smell of an R1. Plus I’m kinda used to it from being a mostly track day rider.
But anyway, I’m just curious if other people are having this same experience. After I’m done riding for not that long of a period of time(maybe 30-40 minutes, sometimes even less), all my clothes smell like exhaust/gas. It’s not a faint smell either, it’s a heavy loud smell. I have to change clothes after I ride.
The ECU was flashed by 2wheeldynoworks , so I’m wondering if this could be the issue. Maybe the tuning is just too rich? Has anyone else experienced this?
Also looking to see what kind of mileage people are getting from one tank. This might support my hypothesis as well. I’m only getting 100 miles per tank. I just feel like this thing is burning too much gas or something.

What say you? How do you/your clothes smell after a ride?

—Edit—
Just to clarify, I’m not concerned about gas mileage or anything of the sort. My bottom line point/question is if other people experience this, is it normal from this bike, and should I be concerned about a bad tune. I think the smell issue itself won’t be that much of a problem once it’s a track only bike here soon, but I rode it on the street a couple of times and want to get this sorted out if it is indeed an issue.

·
Registered
263 Posts
When I was watching, my ‘20 wouldn’t get much more than 100 miles on a tank totally stock.
The heavy odor sounds weird. Maybe you could reach out to 2wdynoworks and ask about the tune-maybe it’s tuned for race fuel or something?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts