Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
kickin' at the darkness
9,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks. Appreciate the feedback.
aye, I would def. question HELD directly in this regard.. send them the pics.. they're sure to replace them no questions asked.. :sing:

·
Recreational adrenaline user
1,375 Posts
These gloves are pretty badass...

I just noticed that STG has Held Phantoms for $199 (MSRP is over $300!) Hmm...

·
2005 Yamaha R1
1,665 Posts
These gloves are pretty badass...

I just noticed that STG has Held Phantoms for $199 (MSRP is over $300!) Hmm...
Retail on the Phantoms is $289. A couple of places have them for $199. The Titan gloves are $349 retail ($315 on sale near the end of the year).

Ray

·
kickin' at the darkness
9,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
yup, i'm glad to see good sales on Titans,

just got word from ExtremeSupply, they've ordered a pair of size 9s ...
having taken a much closer look I do believe it is the right decision for me..

the thumb & pinky finger just dont feel right.. way too big, everything else seems slightly out of place as well, so we'll give the 9ers a shot.. will post when i receive 'em...

·
2005 Yamaha R1
1,665 Posts
My HELD Titan gloves arrived today from TJ at Riders Discount.

To say these gloves are nice is an understatement! Can't wait to ride with them on.

Here's my video review:

Ray

·
Rx for 2nd mid-life crisis
551 Posts
Congrats Digs,
I've needed to upgrade my gloves for a long time. The Held racing gloves with the stingray palm sliders look like the best designed.

I think I'm going to place a pre-order on the PhantomII in black-yellow, when I figure out which size to buy. I know the Titan is a better race glove, but don't want the pinkie finger-bridge for street use, and I gotta have the yellow...

·
kickin' at the darkness
9,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
woohooo!! LIKE_A_GLOOVEEE!!

JUST got my HELD TITANs from Extreme Supply!

i did have to pay shipping return but i'm glad I did, they noted the loose stitch and apologized,... no biggie..

I am also glad i decided to go with size 9 large, it seems the sizing holds true, i am
a size Large on Teknics as well.. Ray, your video above shows exactly what i read on Helds web site
but take it with a grain of salt, a little more room, as in 1/2 size bigger is not always desirable..
these are supposed to fit snug, not loose and roomy... of course its up to the rider to decide what they like!

These ARE perfecT! without flaw... excellent job!!

i find they actually fit just as they should right away, wont need to break in fingers or nothing... now the curvature of the fingers makes sense...
they feel amazingly comfortable, specially at the palm/wrist area... very happy with the purchase!

·
kickin' at the darkness
9,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
I think I'm going to place a pre-order on the PhantomII in black-yellow, when I figure out which size to buy. I know the Titan is a better race glove, but don't want the pinkie finger-bridge for street use, and I gotta have the yellow...
tnx, i definitely recommend them, HELD makes a great product!.. in fact, i'm going to purchase a set of wet weather gloves from HELD for touring with as well! :thumbup

the pinky bridge is removable, just cut the leather part between two stitches... though i'm keeping mine as is... im sure it will be a lot more comfortable... :fork

for sizing, I highly recommend you go by cm's when measuring, if youre on the limits, measure three times and choose snug over loose, makes a big difference in comfort..
half sizes add 1.5 cm!, that shows up in length of pinky & thumb plus kevlar shell (dis)comfort, they actually felt like mittens a little :dundun:

·
551 Posts
I pre-ordered the Phantom II in size 9.5 from SportBikeTrackGear, since they offer free shipping, and have a no hassle return for size policy.

No local Held dealer has the Phantom or Titan gloves in stock. They wanted to special order with 20% restocking fee if didn't fit. F-that! :no
Tried on a different Held glove that is only made in full sizes. The size 9 was too tight, and the 10 was too loose and the fingers too long. So I have fingers crossed that the 9.5 PhantomII will be a winner for me.

I can't stand a too tight glove. I can live with a loose fit. I've got two pairs of Dainese gloves that are uncomfortably tight. Dainese doesn't make boots or gloves that fit me. Sidi Vortice boots fit great, and are superior in every way. Well worth the money.

My current gloves are Olympic brand and a weak link in my protection. Finally I will need to get some leather chaps to go over my work pants to complete my safety gear.

·
551 Posts

·
LionAmongstMen
34 Posts
Those are some great looking gloves. This thread really has me thinking, i've been down a few times but was lucky enough to never hurt my hands but the other day I was riding a dirt bike and it kicked out and I caught myself by putting my hands down first, which I know is a dumb move but my reactions was faster then my thoughts.

I do alot of strong man so this time of year im; about 240 pounds so thats alot of weight to catch using just my hands. Even at my lightest im 210 around may.

I have the Klim Caldera Gloves, and so far they've been great, how do yall think the Titans stack up? If better I got a friend that will buy mine now and I will invest in these titans they look nice.

http://www.klim.com/en-us/shop/moto/men/gloves/5033-000

These are the gloves I have.

·
2005 Yamaha R1
1,665 Posts
I don't think there is any glove made that is better than the Held Titan right now. The wrist protection is insane. You can whack your wrist against the edge of a bar or counter and not even feel it. I mean zero.

Check out the videos on youtube by Sport Bike Track Gear.. they just rave about them. Fantastic gloves.

Ray

·
LionAmongstMen
34 Posts

I'm sold, once I buy these my gear will be worth more they my bikes. Worth it though to me, I dont even ride around my block without gear on.

Great post. Might have saved me from a broken hand with this.

Thanks.

·
551 Posts
Just tracked my UPS package. Have to wait all weekend before my PhantomII gloves are delivered... Damn!
I'll try them out and post up a little review.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Super Moderator
23,799 Posts
I just bought a set of Phantoms for $199 shipped from Riders Discount. Phantom IIs have replaced the Phantoms so the $90 drop in price was awesome, I love 'em and they fit like a glove... pun intended! :bow

41 - 60 of 67 Posts
About this Discussion
66 Replies
19 Participants
jcfz6r1
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing