Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First i'd like to say hello to all. I'm new to the site and the bike scene, sorta..

I'm about to purchase my first bike and would like everyones opinion, i think im set on making my first one a used one. But i'd like to know how many miles is too many for a used 01-03 bike?

Secondly is there a difference as far as power gain going from carb to fuel injection?

thirdly (truely newbie question) whats an approx gas mileage on say like r6?

Thanks in advance and kudos to the site admins!!:finger

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
*bump*

· Premium Member
34,589 Posts
Welcome to the site.. There isn't a huge difference in power from the carb r1 to a fuel injected 02/03... They are just ALOT easier to tune... Get yourself a bike that fits your experience and enjoy. R6 is good for less experience and a R1 if you have alot..

· DAMN YOU SHANE
14,422 Posts
welcome but you are asking to get flamed and this isnt being meand jsut the truth start small you will thank yourself

· HighRider
700 Posts
Start on a 600cc bike, you'll have plenty of power to scare yourself. Do not start on a 1000cc bike at all if you have no experience. Mileag all depends on how you ride. If you commute to and from work or if you blaze and stunt, which I suggest you dont. How much mileage is too much? It's all up to you and the price the dealer/seller sets. Go to a few dealers ask questions compare prices and you will find some happy medium you can come to terms with. Good luck and be safe!!

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the reason i''m asking is because when i learned how to ride i jumped in head first my best friend had a 00 ZX-9 and i rode it everyday for several hours a day until he sold it so i was wondering if the step down i power would affect me.. since i had gotten used to the torque on the 900cc.

As Far as mileage goes anything 00 and up should it have 10,000 miles or more?

thnx for not flaming me!!(remember you all were newbies at some point and time!!!

· Trackday Addict
781 Posts
You'd be surprised. The newer fuel injected R6's put out a lot of power - I'm not familiar with the stats on an 00 ZX-9 but I'd bet they're not too different.

Add to that the R6's nimble handling and great brakes and you have an awesome bike that you could easily convert to a track bike if you want to move up later.

As far as miles go everything is relative. 15k on a bike that's been well maintained is far better than 5k on one that hasn't. Just my $0.02

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also what other good sites do you recomend checking for a bike?

· Trackday Addict
781 Posts
There's a great R6 forum but I don't remember the address. Do a google search for R6 Forum. A few R6 guys on here hop around over there too.

I'm partial to Yamaha, but you could look at used GSX-R600's too. My friend has one and despite the grief we give them, they're nice bikes.

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok guys, found a 02 R1 for 3999 with like 4k on it...? what do you guys think Scam or no?

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah some people can be harsh

· Shut up and ride
2,498 Posts
Be espcially careful if the guy claims he is in South Carolina then claims he moved to the Netherlands and wants you to send money through a secure means plus shipping costs. SCAM!

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ha ha, just got an email from the guy... says he's in italy and wants to use an escrow service...yeah SCAM..

So all you guys buying 04's what are you doing with yer old r1's need bike bad..!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.