Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
25,131 Posts
Have a great time! Wish I could be there with you. Do a Frosty Loop for me... CROT down 129 to Robbinsville then 143 to 28 back to the CROT. 28 is my favorite road there.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Just a few days ago it seemed it was high 70's and got down to high 50's at night in that area east to Asheville, now 90+ and 100+ in Charlotte Wow! Just bad timing I guess..heat shouldn't last too long! How'd the Kawasaki do? Did he or she keep up with you (or vice versa)? It's a big and heavy bike but performs quite well.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha YZF-R1/Raven
474 Posts
Having some good rides up here for a few days. Damn it’s hot but morning runs are doable. The 2020 is an amazing machine…
Nice! I rode the dragon Monday evening and had a blast. Great view riding back to Knoxville at 9:00 pm- summer is cool in the smokies. Ride safe and enjoy 👍

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a few days ago it seemed it was high 70's and got down to high 50's at night in that area east to Asheville, now 90+ and 100+ in Charlotte Wow! Just bad timing I guess..heat shouldn't last too long! How'd the Kawasaki do? Did he or she keep up with you (or vice versa)? It's a big and heavy bike but performs quite well.
Thats a friend of mine who lives local (ish) down here. He’s a good rider and the Concours is a fast machine but I lose him in about 3 turns on my R1. All good though. We both know the roads and we usually meet up at overlooks or gas stations or whatever.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice! I rode the dragon Monday evening and had a blast. Great view riding back to Knoxville at 9:00 pm- summer is cool in the smokies. Ride safe and enjoy 👍
I might try for an evening run if the storms hold off. Last night we took the F6B over to Tapoco Lodge for dinner and the ride home was pretty nice. Still hot but tolerable when the sun goes behind the mountains.

·
Super Moderator
21,716 Posts
Be safe. The Frosty run is a blast. Love riding those roads. Hopefully, I'll make it back soon...

·
Registered
327 Posts
I just wanted to echo the sentiments about riding safe. After seeing this post I was thinking how much I'd like to get up there too and was checking out videos on riding Deal's Gap and came across the video "Yamaha R1 rides with BMW S1000rr BAD IDEA! 🙁". Looks like it was a 20 or 21 Black R1. Anyway, right from the jump you could just tell, from within the first minute and a half or so he wasn't completely in control and perhaps riding above his capabilities..."getting sucked in trying to keep up". It happens. Even with the R1's tall gearing don't understand the riding in first but still he came into a turn too hot, target fixated, crossed the oncoming lane and went down. In this case the bike and rider were basically ok but it could have been fatal had he crashed head on into a vehicle or bike hauling ass the other way. I don't mean to lecture, and don't want to be a downer and derail this thread, nor am I suggesting I'm a better and quicker rider I'm just repeating to ride safe and within your limits. No shame in admitting someone is quicker.
I'd rather read and see good posts and pictures like this than see or read about crashes!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Couple good runs again this morning. Was getting uncomfortably hot even at 9:30am. Humidity is way up again today also. I’m done and going to hang by the pool for awhile 😎

No crashing here and I had the place to myself (mostly) again. Riding pretty fast but not at the limits of my control. No reason for that nonsense. Putting up a pic of my rear tire right after a good run through. Not bad for the stock suspension and the tires that came on the bike. Thing handles pretty good.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You just gotta stop fishing for a week! rofl
I would love to be a part of a Forum meet up in the area. I know it used to happen before I found this place. Wouldn’t have to be anything fancy for me. I’ve met a lot of friends around the country right here riding motorcycles in the last 10 years or so

·
Like The Rising Phoenix
2,854 Posts
I do need to get back there one day, its been way too long. And not really the same without the convention.

This year I get to try something new though, Back of the dragon trip being planned.

But yeah have fun, stay safe.

·
Super Moderator
21,716 Posts
You just gotta stop fishing for a week! rofl
Oh I can stop fishing. It's the traveling I'm doing. Just got back from the UK a few days ago. Getting ready for a West Coast trip to Seattle down to LA later this week. Loving retirement. LOL... Anytime you want to meet up for a trip to the Gap let me know. I'd love to run my Focus RS on those roads.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts