Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to ask for some opinions about helmet life. I've always read, and been told, that riders (for me mostly all street) should replace their helmets every 3-5 years max, and immediately stop using and replace any helmet that has been dropped and/or in an accident. But what about a new helmet that's been sitting in its original packaging and box, even if it has been sitting for years. I was given a helmet as a gift years ago and just kept it in the box as a possible backup or if I ever needed to carry a passenger. Should I just get rid of it? It's a Shoei X-TEC

·
Plastic surgery pending
5,595 Posts
Depends on brand, apparently. Arai says seven, and you can send off for inspection. I was told I could expect a full ten out of my Corsair X. Five is the standard.

·
I miss my R1
3,402 Posts
If it's new in-box, and has been kept in a room temperature environment it should be fine, IMO. I think it's the oils in your hair that break down the EPS liner.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info..it was Sunday, raining, I couldn't ride my R1 so I asked a dumb question!:)

Don't get me wrong, I do lean toward the "better safe than sorry" and "why take a chance?" side--it is our heads after all! The Shoei info was helpful (thanks), but even it said "frequency and intensity of use". This helmet in question has no use and is stored in my air conditioned home. It just seems like a lot for a helmet company (any company-not picking on Shoei) to ask customers to spend 5,6, or even 8 or 9 hundred bucks or more for a helmet you'll have to throw away in five years. This helmet has never been used but I have 5 helmets, 3 only lightly used and was just wondering. Guess I need to stop buying helmets even if they are on sale and a great deal!

How about those Attack Yamahas in MotoAmerica and Quartararo in Moto GP!

·
Obey The Law, of Physics
104 Posts
If it's new in-box, and has been kept in a room temperature environment it should be fine, IMO. I think it's the oils in your hair that break down the EPS liner.
Finally and upside to baldness. My helmets last forever. Mwa ha ha ...

·
Klaus Von Slowpoke
5,937 Posts
Lol, the sweat from your bald head also will contribute to breakdown of the EPS liner :p
Chemical Resistance of Expanded Polystyrene (EPS): Water and aqueous solutions of salts, acids and alkalis do not affect molded polystyrene (EPS) and neither water nor vapor affects the mechanical properties of EPS.
EPS is composed of organic elements – carbon, hydrogen and oxygen.

EPS is created in a two-stage process: Raw beads are expanded using steam, creating pre puff beads, which are then cured in large bags before being conveyed to the mold. Once in the mold, the pre puff beads are again steamed to form the helmet shell.
The helmet liner will break down before the EPS does. If your head hits something while wearing the helmet, the impact of your head against the EPS compresses the EPS, absorbing the shock, that is its function. The compressed EPS does not expand back to its former shape, so it will be unable to absorb any future impact to the same area. That is why you don't use a helmet again after any impact.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts