Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Douchebag
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the thoughts on the helmets with the inner flip down sun shades?

I really like the concept but it seems that there is always some problem with the helmets, too heavy, too loud, lens will puncture skull if you sneeze, etc.

Carrying around a clear and dark lense seems rediculous if not impossible on sportbikes.

Supposidly scorpion is coming out with a new one in spring that is supposed to revolutionize this technology.....?

Any comments, opinions, suggestions?

I only know of AGV and scorpian that offer this feature, are there others?

Thanks!

·
Beating a dead horse.
4,015 Posts
I had a Bombardier snowmobile helmet for a few years with a flip down sun visor. It came in really handy. Unfortunately there's no manufacturers that I like that make a decent sport bike helmet with a flip down sun visor.

·
Banned
31,561 Posts
i just use a tinted lens and open it if i get stuck out when it gets dark outside.
i usually avoid night riding for safety reasons.:fact

·
1290!
8,635 Posts
I think I've done more miles at night than in the day :)butt netrider )

I rode back from Phillip island to home, 1 hour at night with a tinted visor up of course on the freeway. Let's just say my eyes looked like piss holes in the snow for a few days.

Now I carry a pair of clear safety glasses made of polycarbonate ( same safety stuff as a visor ) and slip them on if it gets dark :fact smaller than a spare visor :yesnod

:thumbup

·
big tracks scare me
8,547 Posts
On my Arai, I got the blue tinted visor and even at night I can see good enough to where I don't have to carry around a clear visor.
As far as the helmets that have visors built in, the way I see it is that all I want in my helmet is stuff that is there to protect me when I go down. Anything else is not necessary (shades).

·
Registered
789 Posts
If I know I am gonna be out after the sun goes down I wear my clear shield with the wiki skins on it. It works but far from the darkness I like when my chrome visor is really dark. I personally would give the wiki lens a 5 out of 10 rating

·
damn turkeys
29,378 Posts
hey rek, SyZyGy has a scorpion helmet that has that option, he says it comes in pretty handy. i personally just carried 2 visors all the time. only problem now is that the helmet i have left that fits i only have one visor for :lol maybe by next riding season i'll be able to get the new helmet i want with a new visor as well.

·
R6-Forum liason
363 Posts
If I know I am gonna be out after the sun goes down I wear my clear shield with the wiki skins on it. It works but far from the darkness I like when my chrome visor is really dark. I personally would give the wiki lens a 5 out of 10 rating

What don't you like about it? I love mine.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I posted in your thread on the R6 forum but I will repeat it here for informational purposes.

Not nearly as dark as I am use to when my other visor is a chrome mirrored. The skin is further away from the original visor than my personal liking and it is not caused by the tear off posts like you mentioned in your thread. It is caused by the thickness of the velcro used to mount the skin. It does the job of cutting the glare and transitions back fine when dark. Not bad considering it wasn't horribly expensive. Still would rate it in my personal opinion at a 5 out of 10.

·
My bike and I R1
2,539 Posts
I've got a scorpion EXO-1000. Weight has never been and issue for me but i'm not a small guy so wuts a few ounces. and it's pretty quiet. I've had it for 3 full seasons now and wouldnt trade it anything on the street. For track I like something lighter with a smoke visor.

·
Super Moderator
21,674 Posts
I've got a scorpion EXO-1000. Weight has never been and issue for me but i'm not a small guy so wuts a few ounces. and it's pretty quiet. I've had it for 3 full seasons now and wouldnt trade it anything on the street. For track I like something lighter with a smoke visor.
I use the EXO-700 with a smoke visor for the track. It does great and holds up good in a crash. I found out the hard way. HJC also makes a helmet with one of those flip down visors too.

·
Hoosier Daddy
748 Posts
I too have the Scorpion EXO-1000 and I love it. My eyes are sensitive to the sun so I need a tinted visor. Unfortunately, I always seemed to get caught out late after the sun went down with the tinted visor. Now, that is not a problem.

I have the EXO-700 as well. The 1000 is a much better helmet overall and is especially quiet compared to the 700. I cannot tell a difference in weight if there is any. Hands down, the best helmet for the money. :fact

·
damn turkeys
29,378 Posts
I use the EXO-700 with a smoke visor for the track. It does great and holds up good in a crash. I found out the hard way. HJC also makes a helmet with one of those flip down visors too.

do you know what hjc model that is off the top of your head?

·
Registered
123 Posts
got an exo-1000 as well...flip down visor is perfect, when I go to work in the morning I use the flip down shade, and driving back at night I dont...the helmet is on the heavier side of most helmets, but it doesnt seem to bother me.

·
BME460
2 Posts
i have an HJC with an inner visor, the model is IS-16. i just let my clear outside shield on and have a tinted one inside. its a lil heavier but its prity nice not having to cary an extra lense incase u are out at nght

·
Is that right!
1,664 Posts
i have an HJC with an inner visor, the model is IS-16. i just let my clear outside shield on and have a tinted one inside. its a lil heavier but its prity nice not having to cary an extra lense incase u are out at nght
how do you like you is16? hows the sun visor on the road, is it too dark or just right? is the helmet noisy? any gliches with sunvisor system, like not working or doing something it's not suppose too? the fit?

pros and cons?

·
BME460
2 Posts
how do you like you is16? hows the sun visor on the road, is it too dark or just right? is the helmet noisy? any gliches with sunvisor system, like not working or doing something it's not suppose too? the fit?

pros and cons?
I like the helmet, I where it the most. Everything works well. Haven't had any problems w/ it. Its a prity simple setup, just a slide on the top of helmet and a button to release it, the visor could be a lil darker sometimes but most of the time its prity good, it also came w/ an amber visor. It is a lil more noisy than a helmet w/o the vizor. And it fits nice and snug. It has replaceable pads in it for dif. Fits.

·
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?
37,599 Posts
Satisfied Scorpion EXO-1000 owner here. Don't street ride, only track days.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts