Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course what feels comfortable depends on the rider. I'm curious to know what everyone wheres now and what they've owned in the past. Currenly I have an Arai. Prior to that I had an AGV. I loved it and was willing to get another one but they redesigned it. After that it didn't feel right. I had serious headaches with the Arai during break in. I felt a lot of pressure on my temples. Looks like I'll have this to look foward to again! :rolleyes: Anyone buy a Suomy? Did I spell that right? They were just coming out when I bought my Arai.

·
Really?
208 Posts
I´ve only ever worn Arai helmets. Four, so far. I´m looking for a new helmet right now, but all medium size Arais are sold out. So I´m going to try a Shoei for once. I don´t like the way Shoei fits, but I might get used to it. Hey, it´s only money, right? BTW, have you seen the´02 Arai RX7RR4 Roberts replica? It´s... it´s... it´s beautiful! If I had patience I´d wait for that one, but I´m not in possession of any patience, never was. I´ve got to get a helmet RIGHT NOW!

·
Premium Member
6,235 Posts
Yamahakid said:

Those are for long oval shaped heads and the Quantum is for round oval shaped heads.
Sounds funny.. but is true :D

I wonder what my next helmet will be. I want one that was as good as the Okada #1 helmet from Arai. But it was expensive.

·
Really?
208 Posts
Swedie, you are a roundhead like me. Go with an Arai Quantum again, or take a step up to the RX7RR4. What´s your head worth? Money is no object when it comes to helmets.

·
Road Warrior
721 Posts
...helmets, money is no object... ? That logic would make everyone wear the same (most)expensive helmets.
You can only buy the best you can afford. Of course, you should buy a quality helmet before any upgrades to your bike, but that is another story. (how many riders have you seen with a new 'pipe and only a windbreaker?) A rider should have the basics: protective motorcycle jacket, boots, gloves, and helmet; when stuff needs to be replaced, consideration should go to upgrade the protection, starting with the weakest link. My $0.02.

·
Really?
208 Posts
I too think everyone should get the best helmet they can possibly afford. You WILL regret buying a cheapo helmet the exact moment your head hits something. How much is YOUR head worth?

(Canuck, "you" in the above text is NOT referring to you personally. It´s "you" as in anyone who reads it.)

·
Nightmare About to Come True
1,894 Posts
I have an Arai Quantum now,before that I had a Shoei and it(Shoei) feels like a brick in comparison. I am going to get an OGK FF3 in about a month,a friend has one and it is light,quiet and fits well.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a Quantum /f. Not sure if I would wear ear plugs though. I like to hear what is going on around me. Anyone have the tear off shield? I was thinking about getting one but hate swapping my shield. Often wonder if that was part of the problem with my side cover breaking. I think changing shields can be a pain in the a$$. Never had a problem on my AGV though but then again the side covers came off for easy shield removal and installation.

·
1,894 Posts
I got used to the shield changing and it is now easier than my Shoei ever was,I can do it with the helmet on. I did screw up alot trying to get that down.

·
'See you in the crosshairs'
86 Posts
I've had approx 18-20 helmets and all bar one have been ARAI, (my Trials helmets not included), the 'bar one' was so crap that I vowed I'd never buy anything but ARAI without a decent amount of time to test it.

·
Pixie Dust Spreader
330 Posts
Have only had Arai here........Have the Green one with the blue/purple flames, I heard it was a one time design for Kawasaki.........Don't know if its true or not, but I have never seen another on the streets yet (PHX)....

later

·
no refunds allowed
79 Posts
I have a Shoei RF900 that I am really happy with.

My local dealer gave me a free nose thing (what ever it's called) and a free chin scoop thingie (dont know the real name for it either) just a couple days ago just cause I asked how much they were, pretty cool of 'em. :D

·
1,894 Posts
The nose thing is a breath deflector you would think it would come with it but I had to buy one for my Shoei,Don't know what the chin thingy is:D

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Twisted Logic said:
The nose thing is a breath deflector you would think it would come with it but I had to buy one for my Shoei,Don't know what the chin thingy is:D
Starting to wonder what happened to you. Didn't hear from you in awhile. Hey did you send the yellow Yamaha tuning forks. Didn't get them yet. Just thought about it. :confused:

·
who needs brakes
23 Posts
My first helmet was a HJC. Crashed, and it saved my life. really bad highside. Short story, hit head REALLY HARD! ! ! Then bought a shoei. Hate it. Loadest helmet I have ever owned. My next helmet WILL be a Aria!:D

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
badassr1 said:
My first helmet was a HJC. Crashed, and it saved my life. really bad highside. Short story, hit head REALLY HARD! ! ! Then bought a shoei. Hate it. Loadest helmet I have ever owned. My next helmet WILL be a Aria!:D
You won't be disappointed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts