Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Beeeeeer!
9,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the scoop. I'm selling my old YZF600. The battery seems to be good. After running or riding for a while, shut the bike off. It won't start back up, not enough juice. Click click click click. If you jump it real quick to get it started it will run but if you put more of a load on it by turning the bright lights on it dies.

I'm thinking it will be the stator or the regulator. I haven't tested anything yet, but when I do if I get voltage coming from the stator is it then for sure the regulator? I have yet to have to deal with the electrical components on a bike so far and I'm working blind. Please help.

·
South Side Hitmen
2,209 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my 748 and it turned out to be the battery. If you have another battery I would try that first.

·
Premium Member
6,230 Posts
Measure the amount of juice that comes out of the regulator. Should be more than 12volts. if it's below 12v, then the regulator is gay.

·
Beeeeeer!
9,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Swedie said:
Measure the amount of juice that comes out of the regulator. Should be more than 12volts. if it's below 12v, then the regulator is gay.
Makes sense, but if the stator is also not puting out so to speak would the reg not put out 12v as well?

·
Beeeeeer!
9,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
velocityboy said:
I had the same thing happen to my 748 and it turned out to be the battery. If you have another battery I would try that first.
That was my first hope, but the battery stayed up from October till a couple of days ago. I'm not sure but after you get it started shouldn't it stay running even if tha battery is dead?
Which would indicate lack of current form the stator or the reg.

·
Northern Rider
137 Posts
Yes it should keep running once it is started. Get a volt meter and test it before starting it. Should be around 12 volts. Once you start it , it will go up noticeably.If it does your charging system is okay, if it stays the same it is running off the battery only and there is something wrong with the charging system D

·
Beeeeeer!
9,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't found a manual on line yet and dread speaking to the idiots at the local shop. But here is what I found. Got the bike started, disconnected the battery, it kept running but at a very ruff idle adn wouldn't take any gas so to speak. I got 6.5 V from the posotive lead that I disconnected from the batt. I followed that back to a little box about 1.5" square and 2" long. It had a black lead along with the red one I had tested and a 4 pin connector below that and two fuses. I removed the connector and tested it and also got 6.5 V. I have never worked onthe electrical system on a bike before and have yet to look at a manual. Was tha tlittle box the regulator and that connector commint from the stator? Thanks for your help.

·
Beeeeeer!
9,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found it! Thank you. never would have thought Yamaha would have posted that stuff.

·
Go Fast!
97 Posts
I had this problem and after checking the battery, stator and rectifier (a couple of hours between looking it up on this site) I found it was the connectors in the charge system ( between the stator and the rectifier.
Hope that helps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts