Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is the proper steps in installing a new cam chain tensioner on my 07, I don't wanna risk jumping a tooth and cause anxiety. Thanks

·
Registered
699 Posts
Pretty sure it's just out with the old and in with the new. Doing mine now, but I have the valve cover off for a valve adjustment anyways, so I can make sure the chain won't skip that way.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so with the new cct in (bolt on case with the rod fully compressed and locked with the piviot pin) is it safe to rotate the crank chaft to activate the cct to compress out? Do I need to put some kind of manual tension to the chain then rotate the crank shaft?

·
R1.. The fast kind
985 Posts
Normaly you have to turn the crank ccw a bit to activate/release the cct.

Important, the guide pins for the chain guides have to be inserted so the guides are hold in place.
Some times they are stuck in the cover and pull out when cover is removed.

I don't like to turn the engine before i know the cct is in action so i stick a large screwdriver on the inside of the chain guide, approximately to the pos of the cct and gently push the guide towards the cct until i feel it release.

Then it's ok to check the function by carefully turning the crank a little bit in both directions.

20200521_095929.jpg

20200521_095616.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Normaly you have to turn the crank ccw a bit to activate/release the cct.

Important, the guide pins for the chain guides have to be inserted so the guides are hold in place.
Some times they are stuck in the cover and pull out when cover is removed.

I don't like to turn the engine before i know the cct is in action so i stick a large screwdriver on the inside of the chain guide, approximately to the pos of the cct and gently push the guide towards the cct until i feel it release.

Then it's ok to check the function by carefully turning the crank a little bit in both directions.

View attachment 1013085

View attachment 1013086
yea I'm going do it your way, do I need to have it TDC aligned first prior in removal?

·
R1.. The fast kind
985 Posts
Crank doesn't have to be in tdc when you change the cct but of course, it can't hurt either.

The chain shouldn't be able to slip on she camshafts but i'm not sure about the crank.
For safety, make a mark on the chain and crank chain wheel with pen or paint before you take out the cct so if the chain slip you will notice it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not that it's any of my business but what's the reason for changing the CCT?
its making a funny rattling noise around that cct gerneral area. I used to own a 99 r6 with the same distinctive rattling noise, changed out that cct and noise completely gone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts