Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people I'm GAMMA1 from Italy
I have a R1 1999 with full akrapovic racing line, K&N filter and dynojet kit with main jet 136
the problem is that from 1000 to 5000 rpm the mixture is too rich and the engine don't run well so I ask you if someone knows the right setting carbs for my kind of bike????????

many thanksssssss in advance
:hellobye

· THE MAN
3,750 Posts
Gamma1

Hello Gamma1

Your problem is somewhat common. I will give you the best, quickest, and simplest way to fix it.

Get rid of the K&N and use the stock air filter. K&N makes great filters, but the do not work well in this bike.

Next and you will really REALLY love this if you do it. Get IVAN's jet kit. It works the best and is the simplest to install. It was made for the Akrapovic, and IVAN is willing and able to answer any questions you may have. He is a welth of R1 knowledge.

Can someone post a link to IVAN's site for me? And maybe tell me how to post a link too...lol

· pegs & sliders scrapin'
118 Posts
136 main jets in Italy with all that heat is way to big!!

Change these to 1325 instead. this will be enough for your top end without being too rich. The jets you will buy from your dealer for $8.00 are not different to the ones you will pay $100.00 for in some so called jet kit.
Normally these kits include needles when the standard are usually fine as the R1 needles (standard ones) are adjustable.
There are 6 grooves and standard position it 3. Raise the needles one line to number 4. As you have no gas speed low down (after removing the EXUP Valve, you will need to lean the bottom end right off. The right way is to install bigger pilot (air) jets however, the 'cheap' compremise is to wind the mixture screws right in then back out ONLY 2 TURNS.

Stick this on a dyno and you will probably find it's right about there.

:yesnod

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you very much my dear friend but where can i buy a ivan's jet kit in Italy ?
there is an internet site where to buy the jet kit ?
:thumbup

· This...is a...a...suck!
1,268 Posts
Here ya go...good luck. I got a carb kit from him a bit ago and it was easy as anything to install. If you run into any problems Ivan is always willing to spend time answering your questions. I had plenty of them before I bought his kit.

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you very much my dear friend but where can i buy a ivan's jet kit in Italy ?
there is an internet site where to buy the jet kit ?
:thumbup

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just take a look to the ivan's site but unbelieveable is not possible to send him an e mail????????????
only to phone ?
what's the time now in NY?

· Registered
15,446 Posts
save on long distances and let me tell you what he will tell you:

make sure to put back the stock airfilter with the 132.5 mains;

turn the mixture screws to 3 to 3.5 turns out from lightly seated;

the clip position on the needle is according to your taste.

with his needles,he never recommend going further than the 3rd clip position from the top...doing so will only tell that there"s something wrong somewhere.

· Banned
865 Posts
hey

i suppose this is only partially related to the subject, but I have a 4-2-1 pipe (two bros) and ivan's seems to emphasize that his kit is only for 4-1.

I find it a little hard to believe that the resonance characteristics on the 4-2-1 should be so different as to not work with his kit. has anyone else run with a 4-2-1 with good results with ivan's?

· Registered
15,446 Posts
yes,a few of us old forum ex-members found that this was irritating also,but he claimed that a lot of testing said that best results are acheived with 4-1...probably has something to do with only getting positive comments about his products and there is nothing wrong with that...

but i"ve seen some dyno curves with yosh 4-2-1 which were better looking than with akrapovic,and with a better top end hp too.9the yosh was a full titanium racing system though$$$)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.