Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
I?ve seen something like that on someone else?s frame, sorry to say but it did not come off, he ended up polishing the frame. Hope you have more luck then he did.

·
Cheating death in the "D"
21,068 Posts
I'm surprised no one has suggested leaving it looking like shit, lol.:crash
3 choices-

1. Polish it
2. Media blast it for a brushed aluminum look
3. Powdercoat it black

your not going to get the staining off without sanding/polishing or painting, once aluminum reacts to caustic or acid solutions or really agressive solvents it requires the above, sorry to say but its highly unlikely an off the shelf cleaner, buffing compound, or wax will return it to its original state :fact

·
burnin' up the streets
8,783 Posts
3 choices-

1. Polish it
3. Powdercoat it black

your not going to get the staining off without sanding/polishing or painting, once aluminum reacts to caustic or acid solutions or really agressive solvents it requires the above, sorry to say but its highly unlikely an off the shelf cleaner, buffing compound, or wax will return it to its original state :fact
I think there's a 4th choice!

a touch from the midas of carbon (rorlow) & the whole bike will turn to carbon fiber.

·
Cheating death in the "D"
21,068 Posts
I think there's a 4th choice!

a touch from the midas of carbon (rorlow) & the whole bike will turn to carbon fiber.
I just happen to know of a couple genuine carbon fiber frames (not covers) too :dollar :sneaky :hammer:

Attachments

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
carbotech is the brand of my carbon hugger i've used, up until i get my 'other' swingarm.:sing:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
3 choices-

1. Polish it
3. Powdercoat it black

What I figured when nothing I was trying was touching it. Thanks. This is going to be my track bike so I may just leave it.

·
I've eaten my R1
1,233 Posts
I'm pretty sure that is a clear coat over the frame. You might ask around at your local automotive paint supply house. They should be able to direct you somewhere that can dip your frame and clean all that clear off with no damage (or change) to the al underneath.

You will need another coat of something to keep the al looking good though.

Powerder coating is probably the cheapest, quickest way to get it looking good again.

·
Stock Sucks
1,256 Posts
I had a similar situation with my truck when I bought it. The dealer sprayed the engine and front bumper with some sort of de greaser that made it look like your frame. I confronted them about it and they denied doing it so when I got it home I used Mothers aluminum polish or Brasso to polish it then waxed it and it come out fine it just took a lot of work. What has happened on yours is the clear coat was slightly etched with the cleaner. You may be able to fix it but be warned if you rub all the way through the clear coat you might as well just put paint remover on it and strip the clear coat all the way off and just polish it. I would rather just have it powder coated though. It's a lot less hassle to take care of in the end.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.