Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
WiLL SmOkE yA LiKe A CigArEttE
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys around the world...especially those in countries that the 04 r1 has already been released (USA and Europe)...

i've got a quickie. I'm planning to get an 04 R1 sometime this year to replace me 02. On the other hand, I need a steering dampner desperately as it has gotten way too dangerous to be riding without one currently (skill level has risen since the past as it goes for everyone else) that I no longer feel safe going through the twisties without a dampner.

As everyone also knows, steering dampners...especially ohlins' cost alota dough. I would like to find out if dampners that fit the 02/03 R1s will fit on the 04 r1 so that I know if I'm wasting money getting a dampner than getting the 04 r1 a couple of months down the road. Please advice...thanks

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Well since it has one stock I say get the bike then save for a better damper later.

·
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
than wouldn't be able to improve on me riding on my current bike till i get the 04 r1 which could be 2 or 9 months away

·
Action figure sold separately
12,213 Posts
So I'm wondering who's going to be the first smartass to point out to skyjo that is "damper", not "dampner"........:dunno

·
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hehe, my bad. thanks

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Eyespy said:
So I'm wondering who's going to be the first smartass to point out to skyjo that is "damper", not "dampner"........:dunno

I was being nice, but I knew you would not let it go by.:D

·
Bikeless, but looking!!
685 Posts
I got a real newb question!! What does a damper do exactly? Does it tighten or loosen the shocks, what? I know it has something to do with ride quality correct? Thanks

·
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
a damper does exactly as it's name potray...it dampens the unwanted uncontrolable steering movement that is a result of bumps in the road at high speeds during a corner, wind in the air while doing a wheelie or just plain friction from doing 300kmh. with the damper on, the ride is safer and the rider more steady.

·
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ooh, by the way... dampers have nothing to do with shocks....it's proper name is steering damper....which means it holds the steering bar in place and makes it stiffer

·
Action figure sold separately
12,213 Posts
blue_wrx2003 said:
I got a real newb question!! What does a damper do exactly? Does it tighten or loosen the shocks, what? I know it has something to do with ride quality correct? Thanks

Shock absorbers are suspension dampers, and dissipate, or "dampen" vertical movement of the suspension components and wheel that would otherwise be uncontrolled with just a spring. A series of bumps or ripples in the pavement encountered at the right frequency could set the wheel into uncontrolled up and down motion at the resonant frequency of the suspension system even long after the ripples were passed. The kinetic energy of the suspension and the potential energy stored in the spring each time it compressed would continue reciprocally until the movement is damped out by dissipation of this energy. Without shocks, this would be dependant on the inherent friction within the moving parts of the suspension, and would take a long time, creating dangerous loss of tire contact and traction. unacceptable, and so the addition of the damping ability of the shock absorber is critical. The energy of the system set in motion is dissipated by a viscous fluid (shock oil) being forced through a small orifice or opening with each stroke of the suspension. The flow of the oil through the orifice impedes the suspension movement.

Likewise, a motorcycle's steering can be set into an uncontrolled side to side rotary motion about the steering stem axis. SOme motorcycles are much more prone or susceptible to this build up of oscillatory energy, such as short wheel base, high HP bikes with aggressive steering geometry that culminates in a small amount of trail. This oscillatory movement of the forks about the steering axis, known as head-shake, can become violent and self sustaining, building as the side to side movement occurs at the resonant freq of the steering system, even after any possible energy input into the system precipitating the uncontrolled movement was over. This is a tankslapper and can lead to a crash because of loss of stability of the motorcycle and loss of the rider's ability to control the operation of the motorcycle by intention control inputs. Accelerating hard with the front end becoming light, accelerating out of turns over a rippled surface or bump can induce a tankslapper. Just as the shocks dissipate and control the vertical movement of the suspension, a steering damper dissipates the oscillatory energy and movement of the steering, using oil forced through a small opening with each stroke of the steering damper. Most bikes do not require a steering damper, but aggressively ridden sportbikes that are prone to headshakes and tankslappers are benefitted by the use of a steering damper.

·
Banned
31,510 Posts
skyjo said:
hey guys around the world...especially those in countries that the 04 r1 has already been released (USA and Europe)...

As everyone also knows, steering dampners...especially ohlins' cost alota dough. I would like to find out if dampners that fit the 02/03 R1s will fit on the 04 r1 so that I know if I'm wasting money getting a dampner than getting the 04 r1 a couple of months down the road. Please advice...thanks
why worry if it fits a 04?? the 04 COMES with a damper:yesnod did you know this???

·
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
really? dang i thought only the hondas came with a "free" damper. hmmm, in that case i'll get one and sell it seperate when i sell the bike

·
Banned
9,570 Posts
skyjo said:

i've got a quickie. I'm planning to get an 04 R1 sometime this year to replace me 02. On the other hand, I need a steering dampner desperately as it has gotten way too dangerous to be riding without one currently (skill level has risen since the past as it goes for everyone else) that I no longer feel safe going through the twisties without a dampner.

The Scotts rotary damper for the 00'-03' R1 will not fit. The damper itself lines up great on the tripple calmp, but the bracket that mounts to the frame does not match up. The airbox cover gets in the way. So the damper is for sale.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts