Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright where do I begin I have a 99 r1 I’ve just rebuilt, came into a problem with the fuel pump not priming or even working... what I’ve done so far is checked all the connections with a ohm tester they all check out good I’ve replaced the fuel pump twice now, I’ve gotten a new relay. I also check the fuses, I’ve gotten a new battery I’ve checked the wiring harness.... I’m just suck at this point. Ohh and btw if I disconnect the fuel pump and have a line from my tank to my carbs the bike will run decent as long as the gas tank stays full. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,291 Posts
Have you tested the pump with 12v direct? Have you checked for 12v at the connector for the fuel pump? With everything else being 100%, the connection to the pump and the pump itself is all that's left bud.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I’ve directly connected the pump to a 12v battery it works fine and tested all connections going to and from the relay and the pump.... I guess the only other option at this point is to just order and new wiring harness and see if that solves my issue. Is there any way to bypass the fuel pump itself? What I mean by that is if I got a different carb kit for bigger jet sizes or smaller ones would I be able to just forget about the pump?

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,291 Posts
No. The engine will out run any carb without the pump.

If you have 12 volts, and the pump runs on 12 volts, the pump should run. Maybe you've got something back feeding. Is the battery or ground getting hot?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No the battery doesn’t get hot and it’s brand new, i don’t know about the ground I’ll have to take a look at it.

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,291 Posts

#11 is your relay, #12 is your pump. The coil on #11 trips the contacts and send juice from the key, through the kill switch, through the relay to the pump.

The ecu triggers the coil on the relay via the L/R wire (blue red? I'd have to look at the key).

So check that the coil is getting signal and listen for the relay bumping closed. Then test for 12v on the B/L (black blue?) Wire from the relay to the pump.

If the pump works, and you have voltage to the pump, the pump will work. You are losing signal somewhere.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
what do you mean you've tested all the connections? you checked that every plug has 12v+ power through each side of the plug?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts