Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I need to get thru some "experience" questions in an accounting interview...

i have worked for a bank before, but not what the people who i want to interview with want...

basically what i needed to have done is

General Ledger Reconciliations
Profit/Loss Reconciliations
Balance Sheet Reconciliations.

I want to make up that i know how to do all of the above.

what do i say when they ask me "so you have done G/l reconciliations before?"

i say "yes i have....."

they say "how did you do that?"

then i say" ???????????"

can someone explain how i do G/l rec's , P/l rec's, Bal Sheet Rec's?

what do i reconcile each of these items to?

thanks

:sneaky

·
Action figure sold separately
12,225 Posts
I have been in the situation where applicants have misled us on their training, skills, and experience. This does no good for anyone involved. It soon becomes apparent during the course of the job that they have mis-portrayed their qualifications. They wasted their time and my company's time, and then I have to get rid of them and find someone qualified. That said, I can usually tell within seconds when an applicant is BSing us, and we complete the interview and thank them for their application and for interviewing, then look for someone else.

·
I eat beer
764 Posts
Mate,

I know where your comin from cos been there done that. If you havent had any experience with general ledger/profit loss or balance sheet reconciliations then trust me you will strugle and most surely drown. That being said alot of these processes are made quite easy through the use of computer programs. Im currently studying accounting-at the end of my first year!! and am enjoying it but suffering the same problem as you. Everybody wants experience but how do you get experience without experience
:( :(

What type of position you applying for? trainee accountant?? even these freakin positions require experience :cryin

·
BikeJunky
3,012 Posts
Lying isn't good man, you will only make yourself look bad in the long run..... you could burn bridges like this.... and trust me, you don't want to do this... these thing always find away to bit you back in the ass later on in life.

·
Tap dat...
14,410 Posts
Eyespy said:
I have been in the situation where applicants have misled us on their training, skills, and experience. This does no good for anyone involved. It soon becomes apparent during the course of the job that they have mis-portrayed their qualifications. They wasted their time and my company's time, and then I have to get rid of them and find someone qualified. That said, I can usually tell within seconds when an applicant is BSing us, and we complete the interview and thank them for their application and for interviewing, then look for someone else.
I second that. There's nothing more irritating than someone who isn't qualified for the position getting in because they lied. Then after that proving that they can't do the job over the course of however many months they've wasted...you have to let them go. :mad:

·
Bite me...
401 Posts
Unless you want everyone above and below you to talk shyet behind your back (and eventually to your face) about how much you suck and don't know jack-crap ... DON'T DO IT... Accounting ain't the best place to jump in to and play pretender ... People will call you out on stuff you won't understand ... and you'll forever be known as Mr. BS ...Chances are that you'll wake up every morning regretting what you've done (almost as much as the guy that hired you and the peeps you work with) ... Don't be a panzee ...

·
Illuminati
1,065 Posts
I do this for a living but am not going to type out all that crap.

Just remember the Debits and credits when you work at a bank are backwards from normal. At least they are in the US.

·
Redlinin'
1,420 Posts
sokevin said:
can anyone here help ?

cheers
Trust me, everyone here has already helped you. Your best bet is to learn it, then get the job. I hate, HATE, HATE it when we hire someone that swears they know computers, Excel, Word, etc., then can't even format a freakin' disk or change a column. That kind of BS will get you a bad reputation, then fired with a very bad report to your next potential employer.

Consider yourself warned.

·
R1 parking only
189 Posts
sokevin said:
can anyone here help ?

cheers
Ok, the majority of the people here seem a little reluctant in providing what you're asking, however, I fully understand where everyone is coming from. It's in your best interest to know and understand the position.

If I was your boss and asked you to provide a report on the each one of these topics, and I find that you're having difficulty getting that information to me, I would be very hard pressed on what my next step would be.

Having said that, here's the general overview of what they are. Remember, there's quite a bit of information on each of those topics. So here's the short version:

GENERAL LEDGER RECONCILIATION'S - Basically this deals with data base entry for your company. Example, say, your accounting office cuts a check for contractor, the contractor goes to the bank and cashes the check, your job as an accountant is to go into the data entry and clear the checks that the contractor have cashed.

PROFIT/LOSS RECONCILIATION'S - This is somewhat same as above, however, as an accountant you provide quarterly and yearly report, such as 401K, stock options, and tax report. Prerequisite for this is an associate’s degree is required since you're dealing with taxes. You must have a general working knowledge on taxes.

BALANCE SHEET RECONCILIATION - Associates degree is requisite on this as well and goes along with the first one, and deals with banking. This can be on anything.

Again, this is just a short version and hope it answered your question.

·
Mass
1,013 Posts
mmmm yeah, let's explain a profession to you in a post which people study for years.

You're on the right track.......

·
get what, get back
472 Posts
IMO, you don't need any education or experience for that job, unless you're going to be making financial decisions for the company. I have known a lot of people in Accounting that have four year degrees, CPAs, etc., and most of them are fvcking idiots.

Reconciliations are the biggest joke, too. you just match up the bank activity to the company activity.

·
Registered
386 Posts
A professor tried to explain and shove that stuff down my brain for 2 semester, and I never got it. What makes you think that someone will give you a useful explanation in a 2 paragraph internet post.

So to summarize, you're a dumbass for even asking and you will never get the job. In the miniscule chance that you do get the job, they will fire you the first time you need to do any of these things.

·
Bite me...
401 Posts
The stuff is not going to be rocket science ... What's gonna suck is when your trying to learn everything they thought you knew in the timeframe that you're supposed to finish it in. Granted it's all someone else's $$$, you're going to be screw up the timeline and screw over all the people depending on your work. Every workplace needs a Jessica Simpson ... but at least lean a little closer to honesty and tell them you're not an expert ... but willing to learn ...

·
Tap dat...
14,410 Posts
easy said:
IMO, you don't need any education or experience for that job, unless you're going to be making financial decisions for the company. I have known a lot of people in Accounting that have four year degrees, CPAs, etc., and most of them are fvcking idiots.

Reconciliations are the biggest joke, too. you just match up the bank activity to the company activity.
ala Aurthur Anderson, huh? :no

·
get what, get back
472 Posts
well, there are completely different worlds. An internal accountant for a company doesn't need much of a brain.

If you're working for a firm that audits and has to put together the models for companies and stuff like that, it's different, but even some of those guys are kind of dumb. I'm a subject matter expert for my company regarding some areas, and I've been interviewed plenty of times by people from firms, and some of them just don't have much brain matter.

I agree with everybody saying you shouldn't lie or try to BS your way through, because it is critical for a business (especially if you're a publicly held company and you have to deal with all the FASB rules), but all in all, it's not rocket science.

·
Tap dat...
14,410 Posts
I disagree but then again I'm not an accountant so I wouldn't really know for sure. My ex is but we don't talk about banal things anymore! :lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts