Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· My R1 and I catch together
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I high sided my '98 at about 20 mph a couple of weeks ago. No major damage to me or the bike, except a scraped lower right assembly cover (frame sliders saved the day). When I fired her up recently, I noticed a burning smell that seems to be originating from the front end. The forks are straight, but I'm a little concerned. I spilled some gas when she was down. Any ideas?

· My R1 and I catch together
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Checked the oil - that's not the problem. Also, the smell is almost like burning plastic. I looked at the front end without taking the fairing off and didn't see anything. Could it be the coolant? Or maybe something came loose and is burning on the pipes?

· I don't like user titles
82 Posts
If it is leaking coolant you will notice because the bike will get too hot ... watch the engine temp carefully. Run the bike on neutral on your garage for a while, watch if there is any liquid spilling into the floor, and monitor very carefully the temperature (you don't want the engine to burn!!).

Also check if the exhaust and/ or the lower fairing have received any damage: another posibility is they have somehow got in contact and the exhaust is melting against the fairing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.