Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

sorry for shouting in the title but I really need quick advice.

I bid on this 2000 r1. I entered my max bid, then got outbid by a buyer, with ZERO feedback, who joined ebay in August of this year, and WHO LIVES IN CANADA.

So frantically, I call the seller and say you are not going to allow this guy to bid are you, he says I'll give him 2 days, if he does not pay, I'll sell it to you for X.

Someone else outbids canada and I just let them win it. So 10 minutes after the auction ends, the seller calls me and says it was his friend who bid to make sure canada does not win it, but it is still available if I want it.

I say HECK YES. I'm in. Then he says the bike does not have license plates because he moved in from Cali to TX and never drove it in tx. I have never heard anything like this before.

So I ask if he has a clear title. NO. he has to payoff the company in Cali but can have the title by monday.

So I ask if he has proof of ownership. He says no, but his name is on the registration.

This just raises a bunch of red flags. I dont want to buy a
1. stolen bike
2. a bike with a salvage title
and I definitely dont want to give almost 5k to someone who will dissappear.

I am going to pick it up tomorrow. What can I do to make sure this is a legit deal?

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
telerider said:
get the vin number....call police to have them run it thru the ncic computer....then run the carfax on it. all of this will give you lots of info
I called the police and the number they gave me opens at 8:00 in the morning. I tried to run a carfax and it said it had 0 data.

I called the seller again and asked if he could give a phone number to have employment verified. Here is what he said " I work as an airtraffic controller so we dont give out the number because it disturbs us from doing our job.

The registration is under his name, but not at his current address. It is still under his address in Cali, also insurance on the vehicle was last at that address.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FIXTITS said:
seller has no negative feedback.....but air traffic controller and can't
take calls that's kinda funny...actually im not to sure how legit you are.
7 posts no r1
what can I say, I do my homework. If it turns out to be for real, first thing I will do is ride by the shop that would not take less than 5k for a red '00 with 24k miles and squeaky brakes.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It sounds like it could fall either way. Here is what I am planning to do.

1. Check the vin with the police

2.get there in the morning. Ride it and make sure it is in good condition

3. Verify that the vin on it is the same vin on the auction

4. Take as much of his info as possible. I plan to make copies of the registration, his driver's license, job id badge, etc

5. Verify the loan amount with his bank. If he cannot verify this , then absolutely no deal. I am a car salesman so I know how easy this is to verify.

Matter of fact, I will send the full payoff amount myself and request the title be sent to my address. If I cant do this then I wont buy the bike.

6. I'll attempt to do a credit check and verify that he is who he says he is. Again, as a car salesman, I can do credit checks for free and instantly.

If I can verify the bike is not registered stolen, and he is who he says he is, I will take delivery. If not, I'll bounce and go look for another one.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
spazzypaddy said:
I think you should go with your gut instinct.
If the guy sounds genuine and he will provide all the information you need to check it out that’s normally a good sign.

Hi guys,

I went and checked it out this morning and it checked out. His name( as on his driver's license)was on the registration. I called the lien company and they verified the payoff. The lady at the lien company said she would overnight the title to me as soon as they received payoff.

Anyhow, I got stopped by a cop two minutes after taking delivery, at a gas station getting gas. He wanted to know why I did not have plates. So, I put on my best behaviour and passed the attitude test. I did not get a ticket. He was "kind" enough to run the vin though and it was not stolen. It was registered with the same guy at his old address.

anyhow, to cut a short story long, I got a good deal from an honest(well semi-honest) seller.

First thing I did was take it to the make-ready dept of my dealership and have it stripped of all the yellow-orange stuff and all the stickers. I also put the rear seat back on and took off the cowl.

The guy was kind enough to give me an expensive helmet(that wont even fit my big head), a set of gloves, and a battery tender(nice) i wonder how much battery tenders cost?

Anyhow, I am now the happy owner of a 2000 r1, with half race brakes on it. The rear tire was worn to the metal so I was scared riding it but he gave me a brand new high performance tire(at least it looks high performance)

As I said, to cut a short story long...

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Sabian said:
What kind of rear tire? Does it match the front?

Tender - 30-60 bucks
What kind of helmet?
What are "half race brakes"?
Tire, metzeler sportech, and it matches the front

agv demon top vent -now my main helmet. Better padding, better wind protection, and easier to unhook than my other helmet.

I dont know what half race brakes are, but they are not street brakes, according to him because they are designed for the track,where he used them. They work WELL.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.