Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Banned
1,288 Posts
yes please go get the 2004....you get everything new and improved!

· shoot first and shoot fast
3,643 Posts
yzfr198 said:
I can either get full sys and pclllr, K&N or trade in for 04
What to do?
tough call. I had the same situation. I added a ton of things to my 02 then made the mistake of going to look at the 04 at the dealership. An hour later I was riding away on the 04 and selling the 02. :lol

· WERA/CCS #217
5,987 Posts
get the 04 man..

waiting another year is only going to lower the cost of your 02 even more..

and theres no way you can upgrade your 02 to match the 04.. youd spend 1000's just to match it in HP..

· Tap dat...
14,400 Posts
Rockstar said:
If I were you I would keep the 02. Wait a year and let Yamaha work out all the bugs with the 04. That's what i'm doing.
:iamwithst

Although I will probably wait again until 06 and deal with all the "new" bike bugs. :D

3,643 Posts
Wolf-R1 said:
:iamwithst

Although I will probably wait again until 06 and deal with all the "new" bike bugs. :D
Bro, I said the exact same thing. I have a disease: its called impulse buying, just ask McCoy Motorsports :lol

· WHERE'D WHO GO?
1,283 Posts
Daekwan said:
get the 04 man..

waiting another year is only going to lower the cost of your 02 even more..

and theres no way you can upgrade your 02 to match the 04.. youd spend 1000's just to match it in HP..

yes and no, I have more power on my 02 than any 04 dyno I have heard about, but it was expensive. I would recomend waiting. buy an 04 that has already been modded next year, or if they have had more problems, buy an 05. Just my .02

· Registered
68 Posts
DAMN Bwalker. I read your signature. Stroker kit, w/ high compression pistons... I was just imagining what that would be like a while back while browsing graves' site. So tell me, what kind of power is your bike putting out!! I bet that's a crazy ride.

· 06 is my year
1,062 Posts
Stick with the 02 and mod it....IMO a bone stock 04 is not as exciting..

· Registered
409 Posts
Depends on how much you are going to spend to upgrade to the new bike. Yamaha makes a thiner head gasket, and a set of cams for the 02, that with a pipe and PC3R will be plenty in the motor department and you are looking at about $1000 or for the motor. throw in a slipper clutch and a brake kit and now you got a bike that might even be better. What have you done to yours? suspension? pipes? I will never sell my Kitted '98 but I did buy a 04 but my bike was 6 years old. Everything but the motor is better than my stock 04. I havn't built the motor yet on my 98 just the pipe and slipper clutch. everything else has been worked throughly.

· PWN3R
1,366 Posts
bwalker said:
yes and no, I have more power on my 02 than any 04 dyno I have heard about, but it was expensive. I would recomend waiting. buy an 04 that has already been modded next year, or if they have had more problems, buy an 05. Just my .02
You can have more power on 04 if you would like....
05 will have nothing different than 04 same case for 02 and 03

· Super Moderator
22,568 Posts
Here's my view on it. If you have sank a bunch of money on mods
for the '02 then I'd go ahead and keep it until '06. If the '02 is
pretty much stock then yeah, I'd probably sell it and get the '04.
Really, your '02 will accomplish the same purpose of the '04 and
it's still one sexy looking bike. You won't get much for the mods
you have done on the '02.

· WHERE'D WHO GO?
1,283 Posts
tjtripp said:
DAMN Bwalker. I read your signature. Stroker kit, w/ high compression pistons... I was just imagining what that would be like a while back while browsing graves' site. So tell me, what kind of power is your bike putting out!! I bet that's a crazy ride.
supposedly 187RHWP on the last dyno, but I want to get it re-run on a different dyno after a slight re-map and compare the two. I am trying to get it done next week (if my work sched lightens up) and i will post the dyno after that. i tried scanning the one I have got, and it is not ledgible. the only thing that you can clearly see is the writing at the top as the printer was running low on inc. besides, like I said, I want to compare the two.

· Registered
326 Posts
yzfr198 said:
I can either get full sys and pclllr, K&N or trade in for 04
What to do?

You'll learn quick that you'll never get your money back on aftermarket products so be prepared to go back to stock when you sell and sell the other items separately...........as well, you value on your 02 will drop further.

3,643 Posts
bwalker said:
supposedly 187RHWP on the last dyno, but I want to get it re-run on a different dyno after a slight re-map and compare the two. I am trying to get it done next week (if my work sched lightens up) and i will post the dyno after that. i tried scanning the one I have got, and it is not ledgible. the only thing that you can clearly see is the writing at the top as the printer was running low on inc. besides, like I said, I want to compare the two.
Damn, thats impressive. So are you going to keep that boy indefinitely? Do you have any pics of the engine work as it was in progress?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.