Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP ZX10 OR THE ONE?

Hi guys I’m 22 and from Red Deer, Alberta, Canada. This is my first post in the forum here. I’m big into ridin all types of bikes, right now I have a 2000 RM 125 motocrosser and a 2000 SV 650 which has been flogged pretty hard (and crashed) for the last couple seasons. Now its time to get something a little more. I joined a little while ago hopping to get some info on the new 04 R1’s and this forum has been a great resource, looks like I will be sticking around awhile. Seems to be a good bunch of knowledgeable peeps here. But right now Im torn between the zx10 and the R1. Although it is still kinda early ( I want to see some more shootouts and dyno numbers before I come to any FINAL CONCLUSIONS) this is what I have put together so far the comparisons between the kawi and yami. Lets start with looks- I really like the look of the yami (red is the way to go) with undertail exhaust and all, but Im also really attracted to the zx10 (kinda looks gp inspidered) but I have yet to see a zx10 in person so my view may change, I prolly wont put too much weight on this in my final decision. Engines- Its starting to look as, although really good peak power, the yami is down on power in the lower part rev range, where as the kawi looks to be fairly strong all the way through. Also its looks as though kawi has fixed the gearbox problems, as per some of the more recent test articles. Lower end HP and torque is important cus on the street you will use that lower rpm power and torque. Handling- the Yami sounds to be very good, but from the sounds of things it wont be as fast and precise into the corners as the kawi. But the kawi lacks a steering dampener (not a cheap aftermarket item I might add), I have read some reports stating that it is fairly stable and doesn’t really headshake, but I have also read that it will at times do some tank slappers(so I dunno??). Price- Do too popular demand, dealers wont budge too much on the price of the R1,the price I was quoted for the Yami was retail at 14,900 with 800 in accessories thrown in (is this an Ok deal?, anyone know of any dealers that can do and better out here in Alberta?) on the Kawi right off the bat they said they would take $1000, off of the retail asking price of 14,600. So going off of what I have now its looks as though maybe the green machine is the way to go? Anyone Disagree? Then let me know. I’m also know there is some other important comparisons im not mentioning such as fit and feel, quality of build etc. (wich I know Yamaha is great for) but damm this post is long enough already!!!

LIKE I SAID IM GONNA HANG IN THERE A LITTLE LONGER AND WAIT FOR SOME MORE INFO TO BECOME AVAIBLE ON THESE BIKES BEFORE I MAKE MY DECISION…IF YOU SEE ANYTHING I AM FAILING TO TAKE INTO CONSEDIRATION IN MAKING MY DECISION LET ME KNOW!!!!!!

·
L8R2U
21,459 Posts
R1 :thumbup Kawi already needs a new exh.:lol :lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I might add in suzukis defense I dont think they look too bad at at all, but they have built one wicked 1000 bike, even the new gen bikes the older gsxr holds it own...however I think it will be surpassed this year as king of the class, thus my post is about the yami vs kawi

·
My R1 has a little weiner
485 Posts
Too bad its practically impossible to do a test ride.
Not that it matters to me, I already made my choice.

<--------

·
Who's your Daddy!!
5,465 Posts
RacerXXX

Welcome to the site.

As a former owner of a few diff brands i'm just enthused about the choices we have at our disposal. Until 04 the liter bike to have in terms of HP/torque was the g1k! now we have 4 legitimate liter bike monsters capable of 175+mph top speeds, with brakes & handling to die for.
As you know in the end the things that matter most to you will determine what you buy. The R1 & 10r are very much each others equal in terms of HP/torque, overall fit and finish quality will more than likely give the edge to the R1, ergos can only be determined by you once your able to atleast sit on both units. What appeals to your eye may determine your choice as well, examp...undertail (r1) exhaust or not (10r) color is important to some, steering damper or not is another.........blah,blah,blah

BD

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you ride a sv 650.. a 1000 should be more than enough power. for you to handle.I would get 04 r1.. the kawi is to new.It may have problems. all war. but still a pain in the ass.
Buy a helmet and hang on.

·
Wheelies for boobs!
3,992 Posts
I say stop reading the magazines and spend your money on the bike that moves you.

Of course, I live in the land of literbikes and straight roads. Everybody has to have a literbike (because that's what the magazines say is the best, or their buddy has one) and they all talk about how fast they got to go.... but you should see the comedy of errors as soon as the road turns.....:fact

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah very true I could pick the slowest 1000cc bike built and its going to feel like a rocket (compared the the sv650) im not buying which everone is fastest, there is lots of other things to take into account when buying a bike...

K

·
0 Posts
EBOZ said:
If you ride a sv 650.. a 1000 should be more than enough power. for you to handle.I would get 04 r1.. the kawi is to new.It may have problems. all war. but still a pain in the ass.
Buy a helmet and hang on.
not to be a dick, but they are both all new this year, and both have made bikes prior to 2004, so i belive that one is not more likely to have problems than the other

·
My ZX-10 eats me.
40 Posts
Well it seems that the zx has more mid range and top end then the 1 and it seems to be lighter. It comes in a sexy black color and gets my vote.

·
Have you been bitten yet?
939 Posts
Get whatever floats your boat at the time, either way youll ride away with a big ass smile :)

·
Blue is best
787 Posts
On a performance basis I would have to pick the 10. Solid midrange with a screaming top end, with this bike you really can have it all. Throw in the slipper clutch (they are amazing even on the street) and its the bike I would pick in black. I love the R1, but to be pefectly honest the 10 is the most value for the money.

·
Who's your Daddy!!
5,465 Posts
martinc said:
The pool-like fuel tank top of the ZX10 puts me off big time...what about you?

:crash
The designers knew that if you rode more than 200m in a day that this would be the cure for buttitis so they designed the tank for your ass cheeks and a bit of warm water.:eek:

BD

·
Registered
326 Posts
RacerXXX said:
yeah very true I could pick the slowest 1000cc bike built and its going to feel like a rocket (compared the the sv650) im not buying which everone is fastest, there is lots of other things to take into account when buying a bike...

Yes.........like insurance!!! ........especially at 22.........check on insurance for the latest crop of litre bikes?? Being canadian like myself you should know how expensive it is up here but you may be suprised when you ask for it on 1000cc's. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts