Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
SLOWMOTION
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! friends

I think there's a problem with my clutch plates.

It started when I was out of town n my brother took my bike for a ride n he parked the bike in a market where someone must have srewed with the clucth settings on the clutch liver n my brother didnt notice n by the time i came back it was too late.

Now the problem is when I accelerate my bike after 5000 rpm it slips like the rpm increases but pickup does'nt. Is it clutch plates or something else?

Has anyone had this problem with his bike.

Is it possible to give some information or any site about clutch plates cause in India we dont get R1 parts so I will have to order it. As in my knowlege there are 7 clutch plates that I ll have to change.

Help

:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

·
Can we all say steering damper
122 Posts
It sounds like the clutch it doesnt take much to burn them up if they are not adjusted right. Or how long has your brother been riding. If he was riding the clutch too much that could burn it out too. You probally want to change your oil also. Wet clutch

·
Formley known as slutty
5,183 Posts
Storm said:
It sounds like the clutch it doesnt take much to burn them up if they are not adjusted right. Or how long has your brother been riding. If he was riding the clutch too much that could burn it out too. You probally want to change your oil also. Wet clutch

:iamwithst

Also check and drain you oil, If you see metal flakes (shiney) in there its time for a new clutch.

pretty easy to change out

·
190 rear section heaven !
1,997 Posts
Make sure when you release the lever that the clutch arm is all the way out and the cable has a little (LITTLE) slack on it, that way you know it's properly engaged......

Even a tiny bit of and it will slip like mad.....

good luck.

·
SLOWMOTION
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx alot friends.

These are the few thing that need to know:
1) Shall I Take all the Oil out.
2) Change the clutch plates. how many plates are there in 2003 R1? I think there are 7 plates in total.
3) What is Clutch Gas Kit?

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
Sorry!

You have 7 friction plates (cork-based fiber plates) and 6 pressure plates (metal);

The last friction plate all the way at the back of the pack is different though and is located behind a piano-wire-like locking device;
My opinion is that you dont need to change the last one or even disturb the piano wire (unless you like to hammer the clutch a lot);others will tell you to change everything.

And yes,you have to change the oil :)

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
Well,depends if the pressure plates are perfectly flat or toasted;in order to know that,you got to put them on a plate of glass (perfectly flat) and see if they are wavy or not.

In any case,you"ll have to debur them with a wire wheel (dont push hard,just remove the glazing) or treat them to a small emery cloth treatment.
Those little 3M pads may do the job too...just make sure you do it from inside to outside,not round-and-round.

·
SLOWMOTION
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanx
Is it easy to take the clutch plates out and before I open it shall I take the engine oil out?
Anything important that I have to be careful about when I open the clutch?1
Is there a thread on r1-forum or any site that explains how to do it?

·
SLOWMOTION
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I read about barnet conversion clutch
1) What is conversion clutch?
2) Shall I go for Yamaha OEM clutch or conversion clutch?

·
I am One with The One......
747 Posts
I had that happen to me within 1 month of picking up my 02.

The clutch adjustment was messed with and it was shot to hell after that. I took mine back to the dealer and they gave me a new clutch for free. I had to battle and wait 6 weeks for it, but it didn't cost me anything.

I don't stunt or anything like that....so when I took it in I had the dealer verify that I didn't blow it doing wheelies or shit like that.

Take it back though. I'm sure you and I aren't the only 2 who's had that problem. It shouldn't happen just off of adjusting the clutch. But it happened to me the first time I did it, and now you. Go in and biatch about it.....A LOT!!!!:fact

:crash

Good Luck....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts