Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Humpy Humpy Time
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new teknic lightning jacket, and i dont think it is fitting me right. I'm 6'1" oround 175 and my waist is 34. I got a jacket size 44, which seems right going by the sizing chart, but it just feels pretty snug to me. Are they supposed to fit really snug? It seems to be very tight oround the shoulder as well as arms area where the pads are, but other than those areas it seems to fit right ( i can breathe fine and all that, lol). Will this thing strech and be more comfy down the line or do u suggest i make a call and swap it for a size larger?

Thanks, and please forgive my ignorance..

·
Driving the Big Brown Truck
1,715 Posts
It will break in over time and wear, but you ultimatley have to be the one that judges how "well" it fits.

·
Action figure sold separately
12,225 Posts
As tight as you can stand it without stressing the seams or zippers, fitting best in the seated riding position, not standing up.

·
WERA/CCS #217
5,983 Posts
Yeah.. i went too large.. 6-3, 210lbs.. i bought a size 50..

when I should have went with a 48..

or honestly a 46 and stretched it out..

The 50 is way too big on me when I sit down.. the stomach of the jacket buldges out like a pot belly.. the teknic jacket itself was only $139 off www.newenough.com.. so i still got a helluva deal, and wearing a sweatshirt underneath in these cool temps helps it to fit alot more normal..

I'm on the track this year, and going back to get the teknic one piece suit from newenough for $329.. and I'm definitely going with the 48.. maybe even the 46.. figuring that it will be the summer time and I will wear as little as possible under the leathers to stay cool..

·
Registered
119 Posts
I AM 6'1 and 178 and just got the lightning 2 piece in a size 46. I got lucky cause it fits like a charm. If your like me you might want to go up one. Plus then you can have lunch and still be able to zip up!

·
Registered
993 Posts
D A M N I recently purchased an Alpinestars P1 jacket n Blue size
48 USA Its too large for me I need a 46. Anyone want to trade?

·
HighRider
699 Posts
Eyespy said:
As tight as you can stand it without stressing the seams or zippers, fitting best in the seated riding position, not standing up.
Also as long as it does not restrict your range of motion in the riding position. :iamwithst

·
The R1 is so Money
192 Posts
For the guys buying 1 piece suits. Do you wear a back protector? Would you go up one size for that. My old leathers dont have any stretchy material, just leather. As I have gotten older(fatter) the old suit is pretty tight. Will the new suits expand. No body carries anything that I want. Makes it tuff to try on.

·
mmmmm...black bike
1,856 Posts
I would also think about a tad bit of room for putting maybe some thermals under them....but I agree with the rest you don't want it bagging....it should fit pretty snug.

·
amo cum me patrem magnum vocas
55 Posts
MR_GIXXER_MAN said:
I would also think about a tad bit of room for putting maybe some thermals under them....but I agree with the rest you don't want it bagging....it should fit pretty snug.
i would recommend under armor instead of thermals. i wore them when i went to my first (and only) track day and it made riding bearable in the socal summer heat. also, get the long sleve top and bottom. they make it very easy to remove the leathers after sweating in them.

·
R.I.P. `ROCK`
119 Posts
your jacket should fit very snug when zipped. here is the test i always take: zip your jacket, and have someone try to grab a fist full of leather from your upper chest around the zipper. if this can be done, your jacket is too big.

·
Got Milk?
387 Posts
newnjr1 said:
your jacket should fit very snug when zipped. here is the test i always take: zip your jacket, and have someone try to grab a fist full of leather from your upper chest around the zipper. if this can be done, your jacket is too big.
what if you got a belly :blush

6'3" 290lbs :(

·
450 coming shortly...
7,696 Posts
Depends on the actual purpose of the jacket. Now Im not being stupid here,a we know there are alot of show poneys around*AKA:Squids*who buy certain products because it "looks cool".

While I am in no wasy in this category,I know of alot that are. So regarding the fit of the jacket,if you want a correct/functional fit,as the guys have said-it should be as snug as possible when in the riding position(as if it is when standing up,you'll find that when you bend foreward,the back will lift up). Depending on how protective you want the jacket to be,allow some room in the back to put in a back protector.

Now n the other hand,if youre going fo one just for looks,and just to have a jacket when cruising around,well you can go for any type of fit-as it wont matter.

None of what Ive said has been said to insult any rider at all,just pointing out that there are alot of different types out there who's prioraties/intentions are different.

Cheers.
:thumbup

·
450 coming shortly...
7,696 Posts
Uzi Rider said:
For the guys buying 1 piece suits. Do you wear a back protector? Would you go up one size for that.
Personally I wouldnt go up a size just for the purpose of using a back protector(as the suit will then not fit correctly in other areas). Theyre not very thick at all,and although it will be
very tight at first,and may cause some uncomfort,just bare with it-and once the suit breaks in you'll have a great/tight fit:yesnod

BTW:For trackdays(and doesnt hurt for everyday use either)ALWAYS wear a back protector:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts