Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone familiar with route 125? It was at one time, one of the best roads I've ever ridden on, aside from Deal's Gap, of course. When I started riding in 1997, there were only a handful of people who even knew this road existed. The most people you'd find up there would be about a dozen, and that was usually after the "Ephrata breakfast run" on the first Sunday of every month. People would go to the old Gerber factory parking lot in Ephrata and hang out and talk bikes. The breakfast run outgrew that lot and is now held in it's current location. I'd guess there were about 1200 bikes there yesterday. Well, as anything good will only last for a short time, route 125 has been flooded with riders every Ephrata Sunday. It's truly become a circus. There are State Troopers EVERYWHERE on this road now. Not to mention the locals are starting to act out. After watching the second bike accident in a matter of 20 or 30 minutes, I stopped to help this guy(ironically on an R1). He tried to hang on a corner at a speed way over his head. A few poor applications of rear brake and off he went. No to mention he was wearing jeans and a t-shirt. I assisted the guy and tried to keep him from going into shock after he looked down at the two holes in his shin, where bone was visible. While doing this, a ****in nut asshole in an old jetta went blazing down the road at about 70. He swerved at us and screamed obsenities. Well, me being me, I flew the middle finger high and proud. He proceeded to lock up the brakes, slide into the other lane and almost wipe out. He then whipped around and came to a screeching halt right in front of me. "you mother ****ers think this is your own ****ing racetrack!" Let me tell you, I live here. You better ****in watch out! I asked him what the **** he was talking about after careening past us at 70. I received a loud "**** you" and he took off.
Since I've been riding 125 I've seen it get worse every year. I've seen people wipe out doing wheelies and take out people in the crowd out at "the flats". I've seen an off duty cop wheelie into the back end of an old lady's car. I saw a guy run right off the road and into a creek 6 feet deep with his GSXR. Then there are the fatalities. I won't get into those. I could name at least a dozen other incidents.
I guess what I'm getting at is, If you plan on riding 125, don't. Don't go up there. Stay away for a year or two. Let things calm down awhile. Besides, they just tarred and chipped a large portion of the road recently and it sucks...

·
Registered
42 Posts
i hear you my friend
been in ephrata many times but crowd just gettin bigger n bigger
i remwmber time when they re pave it, gravel was evrywhere n it wasnt rideable
i had better time n fun on way to ephrata....took 76w than 220 before toll n was on 114...i think....way better.
pa has great roads.
be safe

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I've been up and down it a few times but not in the past year. Last time I went it was full of pot holes and shitty pavement, and squids wearing t-shirts and Nikes. I don't want any part of that scene.

I don't really blame the locals for being pissed about people being out of control and making a bunch of noise. I live on a road that has quite a bit of motorcycle traffic. Bikes zipping by at high speed don't bother me a bit, obnoxiously loud bikes, wheelies and other squidly behavior piss me off.

I quit street riding this past year, but I don't tell anybody else what to do unless it affects me directly. What really sucks is that there are plenty of sections of that road that don't have any houses. If these dipshits could just ride somewhat relaxed near the houses and when there's other traffic present, there would likely not be any issues. Like the old saying goes, "This is why we can't have nice things..."

·
The law is grey
978 Posts
I would imagine this is how the tail of the dragon is heading. or has already arrived at this state of affairs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i agree ...ppl know how to mess it up
also my friend moved to Nantucket...near Scranton ....Mt Top...nice roads there.
i moved last year to Louisiana n roads here suck....flat like pancake no turns....n ppl f....g lazy to do anything

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was on PA125 last year.
They were conducting road repairs.

There is an incredible selection of rural roadways comparable to and in some cases - better than PA125 out and around Marysville, PA

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
7 Participants
TheXIIIth
Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
R1-Forum is a Yamaha R1 motorcycle enthusiasts community dedicated to Yamaha YZF 1000 R1 sportbike. Discuss performance, customization, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing