Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey you guys BTW i own a 2003 yamaha R6 not a 2004 but im planning on buying a 2004 this month but anyways i have not ever speed shift before but i read a book on techniques and it told me that to speed shift just let go of the throttle just enough to unload the transmission but i waz wondering how much throttle do i let go....how do u guys speed shift...???:dunno

·
get what, get back
472 Posts
you mean shifting without the clutch?

I'm somewhat of a newb, so take my advice with a grain of salt

to upshift without the clutch, give the throttle a good blip, and right in the middle of the blip, the gear will slide in with a nudge from the toe

to downshift, chop the throttle and toe it down.

my clutchless upshifts are much smoother than my clutchless downshifts, though.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Why are we speed shifting... Doesn't seem as though its worth it. If you learn the capabilities of the bike.... you'll never need to do it. When ridden properly, it will easily rip your arms off and spank anything you come up against. Thats a fact jack...

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i dont know but my friend races dirt bikes and he says that he dosint use the clutch when he shifts gears , i can type the hole article about speed shifting if u guys want me to...but i wanned to know about speed shifting because u know all the racing and stuff lol....

·
My RR tempts me
654 Posts
I just wanted to state that I believe you blip the throttle on downshifts and let off the gas on upshifts. And these bikes are amazingly fast already but what if you lined up against another R1 and that rider was speedshifting?

·
Who's your Daddy!!
5,465 Posts
Clutchless upshifting or speedshifting isn't really necessary when street riding, although theres always exceptions. Clutchless downshifting is NOT good at all for street bikes.

BD

·
190 rear section heaven !
1,997 Posts
Best way to upshift on hard acceleration is this way:

When you are hard on the gas and just about to bury the needle in the redline apply a small ammount of upward pressure on the gear lever, then whenevr you fell you want to (hopefully before you smack it into the limiter) give the throttle a tiny (and I mean tiny) blip and she'll click nicely into the next gear at which point you'll already be back on the gas and waiting for the next gear...

DON'T do this between 1st and second as you have to pass nuetral and there's noting worse than going for an awesome quick shift catching nuetral and going nowhere and making a hell of a lot of noise about it...

I would use the clutch to downshift, it rarely happens smoothly without it and like the guy above states, it ain't no good for it...

Get out tehre and practice this on the 6 so you got it right for the 1...

enjoy !

·
Has anyone seen my ratchet?
25,747 Posts
I think everyone has pretty much covered it for you. On a side note if your friend rides a 2-stroke dirt bike, then the entire race is about using the clutch. This is why a top level rider goes through a clutch a moto and has a quick adjust lever to adjust the clutch as it fades during the moto. If he is on a 4 stroke than clutch doesn't play as big of a role.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I get it now thanks u guys i really mean it especialy R1dER
thanks for your comments it really helped me alot i think im going to have to practice alittle just to get usto it. agian thanks alot to everyone that posted..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts