Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I recently bought a 2001 r1 5jj as a spares or repair, I’ve started to go through things to get it started but still not running yet. I’ve made sure the engine turns over ok, taken the tank off and made sure the fuel filter is clear and the fuel pump is pumping with ignition on, which it is, and put fresh petrol in a makeshift tank for now. I’ve checked there is spark in all 4 cylinders which there is,and tried each coil lead to make sure of a spark and seems ok, still won’t start though, my next move is to take the carbs off and go through those and maybe do a compression test.
Plenty to do but wouldn’t be fun if it was easy right, know doubt I’ll be asking questions on here at some point but for now thanks for having me :)
Waza.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Pics of the 5JJ or else you’re in the wrong forum

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not really sure the best way to get photos on here yet, but here she is 👍

·
An R1 kinda day!
2015 Yamaha YZF R1 Raven Edition
988 Posts
My great great granddaddy came over from Wales,

Sheet, we dang near cousins!
😁

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a 2000 5jj , a great bike , I really enjoy it and it is easy to work on.
Enjoy your new ride ...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a 2000 5jj , a great bike , I really enjoy it and it is easy to work on.
Enjoy your new ride ...
Cheers thank you, I’ve only had Kawasaki zx6r before but always wanted a r1, fingers crossed I’ll get her going 👍

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi all
so moving on from my first post, after trying to get the bike started, and going through the items listed in my first post to get the 5jj going, she still wouldn't fire up and the carbs/bike were stinking with the smell of petrol although I couldn't see any leaking anywhere, so because of this I ordered a carb kit and a compression adapter to fit my tester. the carb kit came first so off with the carbs all cleaned and renewed all the jets etc and is all back together but not on the bike.
The compression tester adapter came so I tested the compression, engine cold, carbs off and great news I think she's fxxked.
Cylinder 1 was 70psi-4.8bar
Cylinder 2 was 98psi-6.7bar
Cylinder 3 was 100psi- 6.8bar
cylinder 4 was 120psi-8.2 bar
so there we have it was thinking of doing a leak down test but would need to purchase one first, but is it really worth it given those figures?
Also she has sat for about two years do you think it would be worth putting the carbs back on to see if she would start or is that plain stupid.
Any thoughts ideas piss taking would be greatly appreciated lol.
Waza

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi I would go ahead and build the carbs and fit them, yes the comp results are not earth shattering but the bike has been stood for a while.
This video is of an R6 the bike ran rough after an apparent carb rebuild , the comp figures were low but the guy went ahead and rebuilt the carbs and the bike runs great..
This is part one, and of course part 2 you get the result...
cheers

·
Registered
57 Posts
Also the bores maybe dry after standing for so long, but you have nothing to lose by fitting the carbs and trying it..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also the bores maybe dry after standing for so long, but you have nothing to lose by fitting the carbs and trying it..
Hi
Thankyou for the heads up on the video and ill put the carbs back on in the morning and see what happens, thanks again for the advice, much appreciated.(y)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi guys
so moving on from my earlier post, I've refitted the carbs to factory setting as to the best of my knowledge and still no joy, the bugger still wouldn't start not even a cough arrrgghh. so in the end i put a small cap full of oil down the spark plug holes into the cylinders and left that overnight and in the morning checked the compression once again and low and behold the pressures were nearly doubled, extremely overjoyed at this point, so i replaced everything as quickly as i could and pressed the old start button and she started straight away, i think the neighbours heard me shouting lol.
well i let her run a little while but after turning the bike off and tried to restart the thing again, no joy(fuming).
Everything back off, another compression test and yes the compression was back down again. Long story short got her going again and she was pushing a lot of gases out of the crank case breather, not good.
so yes i was thinking oil rings, there was a bit of whiteish stuff coming from there as well (head gasket?)
so my next step is What? i was thinking maybe a leak down test to confirm where the gases are coming from or shall i just take the engine out and start stripping shit apart?
Any thoughts would be greatly accepted.

Cheers
Waza.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi guys
so moving on from my earlier post, I've refitted the carbs to factory setting as to the best of my knowledge and still no joy, the bugger still wouldn't start not even a cough arrrgghh. so in the end i put a small cap full of oil down the spark plug holes into the cylinders and left that overnight and in the morning checked the compression once again and low and behold the pressures were nearly doubled, extremely overjoyed at this point, so i replaced everything as quickly as i could and pressed the old start button and she started straight away, i think the neighbours heard me shouting lol.
well i let her run a little while but after turning the bike off and tried to restart the thing again, no joy(fuming).
Everything back off, another compression test and yes the compression was back down again. Long story short got her going again and she was pushing a lot of gases out of the crank case breather, not good.
so yes i was thinking oil rings, there was a bit of whiteish stuff coming from there as well (head gasket?)
so my next step is What? i was thinking maybe a leak down test to confirm where the gases are coming from or shall i just take the engine out and start stripping shit apart?
Any thoughts would be greatly accepted.

Cheers
Waza.
Sounds like good news and bad news, maybe check the coolant condition for contamination and oil too as you said maybe head gasket, my bike is a heavy crank case breather as well but still starts first time and goes well so I have not been too worried about it..
Do you think running it for a while may help? could a piston ring/rings be a bit sticky after sitting for so long?
cheers

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds like good news and bad news, maybe check the coolant condition for contamination and oil too as you said maybe head gasket, my bike is a heavy crank case breather as well but still starts first time and goes well so I have not been too worried about it..
Do you think running it for a while may help? could a piston ring/rings be a bit sticky after sitting for so long?
cheers
cheers

1 - 20 of 29 Posts