Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
hi all
The coolant did need topping up a little so maybe a warning sign although it didn't look sludgy around the cap. I will go through the process of getting her going again and leave running for a while to see if the rings wear in at all. Turkey, do you get much vapour/sludge in the air box then? ill try and put a video of the crank case breather and maybe someone could tell me if its to much vapour, my gut tells me it is.
cheers guys.
hi,
Yes I think running it may help it to bed in again, but back at work now so I’m on hold for a while,
I’ve tried to put a video on of the crankcase breather on here but struggling lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
hi all
The coolant did need topping up a little so maybe a warning sign although it didn't look sludgy around the cap. I will go through the process of getting her going again and leave running for a while to see if the rings wear in at all. Turkey, do you get much vapour/sludge in the air box then? ill try and put a video of the crank case breather and maybe someone could tell me if its to much vapour, my gut tells me it is.
cheers guys.

hi,
Yes I think running it may help it to bed in again, but back at work now so I’m on hold for a while,
I’ve tried to put a video on of the crankcase breather on here but struggling lol
Hi, Although she is a heavy breather the pipe into the air-box is really clean no oil mist accumulation which is surprising.
Cheers

·
Registered
yzf r1 5vy 2004
4 Posts
Hi guys
so moving on from my earlier post, I've refitted the carbs to factory setting as to the best of my knowledge and still no joy, the bugger still wouldn't start not even a cough arrrgghh. so in the end i put a small cap full of oil down the spark plug holes into the cylinders and left that overnight and in the morning checked the compression once again and low and behold the pressures were nearly doubled, extremely overjoyed at this point, so i replaced everything as quickly as i could and pressed the old start button and she started straight away, i think the neighbours heard me shouting lol.
well i let her run a little while but after turning the bike off and tried to restart the thing again, no joy(fuming).
Everything back off, another compression test and yes the compression was back down again. Long story short got her going again and she was pushing a lot of gases out of the crank case breather, not good.
so yes i was thinking oil rings, there was a bit of whiteish stuff coming from there as well (head gasket?)
so my next step is What? i was thinking maybe a leak down test to confirm where the gases are coming from or shall i just take the engine out and start stripping shit apart?
Any thoughts would be greatly accepted.

Cheers
Waza.
try checking the valve clearances....sounds like they could be tight

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hi
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. so i managed to check the timing marks and all looked to match up as per the manual so that's good news, and I've also managed to check the valve clearances although I've only got feeler gauges that are imperial but i had a go and converted them to metric via google as you do. so the results are.
cylinder 1 EX 0.254 and 0.203
cylinder 1 INT all three were 0.127

cylinder 2 EX 0.203 and 0.228
cylinder 2 INT all three were 0.101

cylinder 3 EX 0.228 and 0.254
cylinder 3 INT 0.101, 0.101 and 762 = .003in

cylinder 4 EX 0.203 both
cylinder 4 INT 0.101
so what are your thoughts guys? i would still like to do a leak down test but i think its a strip down jobby.
Cheers

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. so i managed to check the timing marks and all looked to match up as per the manual so that's good news, and I've also managed to check the valve clearances although I've only got feeler gauges that are imperial but i had a go and converted them to metric via google as you do. so the results are.
cylinder 1 EX 0.254 and 0.203
cylinder 1 INT all three were 0.127

cylinder 2 EX 0.203 and 0.228
cylinder 2 INT all three were 0.101

cylinder 3 EX 0.228 and 0.254
cylinder 3 INT 0.101, 0.101 and 762 = .003in

cylinder 4 EX 0.203 both
cylinder 4 INT 0.101
so what are your thoughts guys? i would still like to do a leak down test but i think its a strip down jobby.
Cheers
Yes of course while it is together it doesn't hurt to do a leak down, at least you could even detect if there is air coming out the crankcase breather or inlet/exhaust ....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
so just a quick note,
i decided too strip the engine down after all the the testing. yes all four cylinders have got cracks in them, fuming. i thought it would be ring or valves but this is the worst case, so I've continued to take the engine apart totally, maybe sell for parts or need to find another engine casings or buy a second-hand engine, so all on hold for now.
cheers.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I done favor for a friend on an 05 that had not been run for years, like you when put a little fuel in the bellmouths it would start for a while.
Stripped the fuel pump assembly down, and it was in hell of a state. The pump need to be 35psi to run the injectors, in the end got a second hand fuel pump assembly, new fillter, but it really need a new tank as the rust was so bad in it, it had been totally neglected. I had to buy a new rubber seal for the pump assembly and that meets the tank as the one that had gone hard, I said to him to buy a new one. It could have set fire to four other bikes, two of them mine, all worth more than that bike, no favor goes unpunished they say, so true.
Four year fuel had runided it, but the injector worked OK.
Done a 350 KTM 2012 that had not run for 4 years and tried to open the injector with a small 9 Volt battery but it would not open maybe the battery wasn't that strong, so blew the injector with an airline backwards and now running. Good luck

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'08 r1
1,482 Posts
so just a quick note,
i decided too strip the engine down after all the the testing. yes all four cylinders have got cracks in them, fuming. i thought it would be ring or valves but this is the worst case, so I've continued to take the engine apart totally, maybe sell for parts or need to find another engine casings or buy a second-hand engine, so all on hold for now.
cheers.
Order a used cylinder off flea bay, measure it, match pistons an rings and just do the top end bud. It ain't so bad. You've come this far, see it through.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts