Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Check out OPT7 good prices and pretty nice warranty service. They have treated me pretty well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up a OPT7 for my bike but haven't installed it yet. How was the install?

·
Premium Member
12,466 Posts
Even with the fan relay on the back?

If an after market headlight requires a fan to keep it cool, I wouldn't want to take that risk.

HID is a lot brighter than LED anyway. I've owned cars with OEM HID and LED headlights and the HID wins every time.

Don't just take my word for it. Data proves it. :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
I work at a motorcycle shop and they highly recommended the switch to LED. From my experience and reading I've noticed a ton of issues with the wiring on HID conversion kits. This is just what I've read and noticed really. Thus far, with the fan's and straight plug and play, they have been awesome. The boot had to be pushed all the way out, fit perfect, and man O man are they bright. But I've never run anything but stock lights so, I mean ya they are pretty damn nice, specially at that price.

·
Registered
195 Posts
HID vs. LED Auxiliary Lights - Illuminating the Differences - ADV Pulse

LED Light Advantages

More Efficient: LEDs don’t put off as much heat as HIDs because a higher percentage of electrical power goes directly into generating light. The low current draw means you can run brighter lights without requiring an alternator upgrade for your motorcycle. In addition, you’ll have more electricity for heated grips, heated gear and other accessories.

More Durable: With a typical lifetime of 50,000 hours, LED lights last about 10x longer than HID lights. That’s roughly 6 years of continuous usage! Even if you ride at night frequently, a set of LED lights should theoretically outlast your bike. LED lights do not require a ballast like HIDs, which is another electrical component that could potentially fail. The plastic LED bulbs are more resistant to the shock and vibration experienced during off-road riding as well.

·
Registered
180 Posts
If an after market headlight requires a fan to keep it cool, I wouldn't want to take that risk.

HID is a lot brighter than LED anyway. I've owned cars with OEM HID and LED headlights and the HID wins every time.

never looked up any research/data for it. I just saw YouTube videos doing a LED Kit shootout with 25 different brands.

·
Registered
180 Posts

What are you running on the bike? Stock or HIDs?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hmm, this is directly from Xenon HID's. So let's see, more energy efficient, easier faster installation, more durable, better heat emission, longer lifespan, lower power draw, oh wait here is the kick, only 4 colors.

Durability Average, couple moving parts, bulbs and filaments. High, no moving parts or filaments. Shock proof.
Energy Efficiency Average High
Installation Time About 60 min About 30 min
Heat Emission High Low
Lifespan 5000 Hours 25,000 Hours
Power Draw Average Low
Available Colors 7 4
Fast Warm-Up Time Yes Yes

·
Registered
195 Posts
never looked up any research/data for it. I just saw YouTube videos doing a LED Kit shootout with 25 different brands.

I'm thinking this was a while ago because the quick search I did, which wasn't geared towards either or, cause I honestly don't care, showed LED being the better of the two.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
HID vs. LED Auxiliary Lights - Illuminating the Differences - ADV Pulse

LED Light Advantages

More Efficient: LEDs don’t put off as much heat as HIDs because a higher percentage of electrical power goes directly into generating light. The low current draw means you can run brighter lights without requiring an alternator upgrade for your motorcycle. In addition, you’ll have more electricity for heated grips, heated gear and other accessories.

More Durable: With a typical lifetime of 50,000 hours, LED lights last about 10x longer than HID lights. That’s roughly 6 years of continuous usage! Even if you ride at night frequently, a set of LED lights should theoretically outlast your bike. LED lights do not require a ballast like HIDs, which is another electrical component that could potentially fail. The plastic LED bulbs are more resistant to the shock and vibration experienced during off-road riding as well.
The LED's might last 50,000 hours but I'll bet the fans won't!

Still, I might just try a pair of those $16 bulbs.

Sent from my SM-G9208 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,466 Posts
I'm thinking this was a while ago because the quick search I did, which wasn't geared towards either or, cause I honestly don't care, showed LED being the better of the two.
Search a little harder. :)

There are forums geared towards nothing but automotive lighting.

And if your post about low heat was talking about LED, then yes, the LED istelf is low heat but the circuit consist of transistors that get dangerously hot which is why 99% of aftermarket LED headlights have fans.

And the light output is not brighter than HID. HID has more usable light output.

Warmup time means nothing. A reputable brand has short warmup time. It's not like you're waiting 10 minutes for your lights to get bright.

HID bulbs can outlast the duration of your ownership of the vehicle.

HID is low wattage, high voltage and the ballast does the high voltage work. Not the bike.

HID only has a draw on the battery only on initial start up. Less than 1 minute. This is why it's not good to draw power directly from the bike's wiring harness. It's best to use a relay kit and there will be 0 issues.

I have a degree in electronics engineering. I know exactly how this stuff work.

·
Registered
195 Posts
But they already run cooler than HID, and stock. So again, I don't see the issue. I mean, again, it's up to you what you put on your bike. I never thought to upgrade till recently and I'm honestly not picky. Just saying that very quick google search shows everything, and I mean everything in favor of the LED over the HID. Except for color choice, and I'm assuming that is only on the bigger headlight style bulbs, because LED actually has a buttload of colors for smaller bulbs. I even did an upgrade on my license plate lights last night, they are super bright.

I did away with the fender, and when I did so obviously the light was taken out as well, so I had to come up with options, the light that came with the kit was a cheapo, single bulb, and I could barely see the plate, so in order to prevent getting pulled over I ordered a couple of Chinese mini LED's, so I killed the lights while it was dark and you can see that the headlights are BRIGHT, and of course the LEDs on the plate are super bright as well.

Granted this picture because its in an enclosed space may not be a good representation.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,466 Posts
Forgot to mention that the surface heat on an 35w HID bulb is a lot cooler than the surface heat on a 55w halogen bulb.

So please tell me why LED is better than HID for automotive headlights?

·
Premium Member
12,466 Posts
But they already run cooler than HID, and stock. So again, I don't see the issue. I mean, again, it's up to you what you put on your bike. I never thought to upgrade till recently and I'm honestly not picky. Just saying that very quick google search shows everything, and I mean everything in favor of the LED over the HID. Except for color choice, and I'm assuming that is only on the bigger headlight style bulbs, because LED actually has a buttload of colors for smaller bulbs. I even did an upgrade on my license plate lights last night, they are super bright.

I did away with the fender, and when I did so obviously the light was taken out as well, so I had to come up with options, the light that came with the kit was a cheapo, single bulb, and I could barely see the plate, so in order to prevent getting pulled over I ordered a couple of Chinese mini LED's, so I killed the lights while it was dark and you can see that the headlights are BRIGHT, and of course the LEDs on the plate are super bright as well.

Granted this picture because its in an enclosed space may not be a good representation.
LED are perfect for smaller applications like turn signals and so on but not for headlights.

I'm just giving you input from an educated standpoint and not just Google search alone.

·
Registered
180 Posts

it's a place to start. So, no worries. This is the video I watched.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Search a little harder. :)

There are forums geared towards nothing but automotive lighting.

And if your post about low heat was talking about LED, then yes, the LED istelf is low heat but the circuit consist of transistors that get dangerously hot which is why 99% of aftermarket LED headlights have fans.

And the light output is not brighter than HID. HID has more usable light output.

Warmup time means nothing. A reputable brand has short warmup time. It's not like you're waiting 10 minutes for your lights to get bright.

HID bulbs can outlast the duration of your ownership of the vehicle.

HID is low wattage, high voltage and the ballast does the high voltage work. Not the bike.

HID only has a draw on the battery only on initial start up. Less than 1 minute. This is why it's not good to draw power directly from the bike's wiring harness. It's best to use a relay kit and there will be 0 issues.

I have a degree in electronics engineering. I know exactly how this stuff work.
This is good information, you definitely know more than I do. I just did like I said a quick search and found that as the technology has gotten better, it appears a lot of folks are moving more towards the LED. The biggest downfall I have found is that the LED doesn't extend as far as the HID.

·
Premium Member
12,466 Posts
This is good information, you definitely know more than I do. I just did like I said a quick search and found that as the technology has gotten better, it appears a lot of folks are moving more towards the LED. The biggest downfall I have found is that the LED doesn't extend as far as the HID.
That's not the only issue.

Heat is another one.

Man I can go on forever with this stuff.

A lot of LED headlights are made to depend on reflection from the the inside of the headlight housing. HID does NOT have to depend on this due to most of its output comes directly from the bulb itself.

I hope I'm explain this correctly. It's hard for me to do so sometimes.

People seam to choose LED based of of laziness, lack of space, cheap, and ignorance.

Laziness: "Why buy HID with all these extra components when I can just install this standalone bulb…"

Lack of Space: This one is pretty obvious. You don't have the space for the extra wiring harness.

Cheap: "I just found a pair of LED bulbs on eBay/Amazon for $16!!!!"

Ignorance: "I've been told LED is brighter and run cooler than HID"

:) :) :)

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.