Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm restoring a 98 R1 with 9k miles, had to replace the throttle cable, she started but the idle is high even though there is cable slack - if I force the the grip backwards a bit more the slacking cable pushes the throttle wheel at the carbs a bit and idle drops to ~1.1k rpm where it should be, but if this push is removed (I release the grip) it goes back to 2.5k or so.

Another thing is that the idle adjust screw doesn't seem to change anything.. to lower the idle I should screw it in or out? And why wouldn't it change the idle?

I'll pile another one here - what's the 3 white wire connector on the left under seat, near the servo unit? It gets very hot and starts smoking, that has me a bit concerned, I've cleaned the contacts, the connection is good but it still burns.

Many thanks.

· Is there anybody out there?
4,472 Posts
Back off the idle knob to lower the idle(rotate ccw). Have you synced the carbs. You might have one open too much. 3 wire white connector is your regulator/rectifier connector. Known problem. I would re-wire it with an aftermarket heavy duty connector.

Mark

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate.. yeah.... I have accidentally touched 3rd carb sync screw mixing it with something that controls the throttle cables... This idle problem surfaced when I started it to sync the carbs. How do I sync with rpms so high though? The reading on the carbtune is very high up once warm, also uneven - 3rd very high, 4th very low (unadjustable), others somewhere in the middle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.