Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Initial review-Further in depth review after more riding)
I need to start out this review by stating a few facts, firstly I have been a Shoei guy for as long as I can remember, this is my first helmet that isn’t a Shoei or an Arai, and it is the first helmet that I bought from Riders Discount, that being said let me start on the review.

Unboxing
The helmet arrived in 2 days from Riders Discount (with their free shipping) and was packaged very nicely with lots of padding and protection. I purchased the RPS-10 Ben Spies limited edition because I wanted a cheap lid, and I didn’t want all that Monster Energy crap on it. I got the helmet, a dark smoke shield, and shipping for 286.00, it seemed like a very good deal for the price.

Initial Impressions
Coming from high end Japanese helmets the paint quality, and overall quality of the helmet, was not what I was used to. The panels were not the same color across the entirety of the helmet, the graphics did not line up across the helmet, and the shield replacement mechanism just sucked. That being said, the helmet was pretty plush on the interior and was comfortable to wear. The shield was really nice, especially the pinlock system, and the helmet offered really good field of vision when riding.

The helmet so far has surprised me in terms of the value for the price I paid, it has great airflow and is actually quiet. The chin curtain has already broken, this kind of pissed me off as I have only used the helmet twice for under 15 miles total bouncing around town. The quality of this helmet is clearly not on par with a Shoei or an Arai but it seems to be well ahead of brands like Icon and other squid friendly lids. The visor locking mechanism is fantastic, in fact I personally think its the best I have ever used, including the mechanisms found on my X11/X12 or Arai helmets. It’s situated on the bottom/middle of the visor and there is an audible click as the visor is locked and unlocked.

I will add to the review next week after I put more miles on it, I ride 800 miles a week to my job so I hope to have some better insight to the helmet then.

Since I can't figure out how to add pics I put some photos of the helmet up in a public album on this site.

·
My R1 Owns Me
1,182 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts