Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bollocks.
11,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right guru's, heres a question for yaz.

Lately, whenever i play any of my newly aquired games the following happens.
Sometimes the computer restarts out of nowhere, but mostly the program just shuts down. And leaves me at my desktop wonder wtf just happened.
With gta san andreas i found out that if i turn my hardware acceleration off for my sound card (Nvidia Nforce), it works perfect. Ive been trying to play Fahrenheit, or Indigo Prophecy or something as its called over there. And at the tutorial all is still well, but then i begin the game and i get thrown back to the desktop. Same story with, Renegade Paintball, Hidden stroke II and a few others. I just dont get what the problem is.

ALSO, im here trying to install age of empires III and when it prompts me for the 2nd disc i put it in, and then nothing, it keeps asking me for the 2nd disc. When i look in my computer it just says dvd-ram drive, when i open it i can still see the contents from disc 1.
Noticed it does this constantly now, i put a disc in, take it out, stick a different one in and it still shows me the contents from the 1st one...

Anyone god any idea cause i am absolutely clueless...

:dunno :rant

·
Life: Comedy or Tragedy?
37,587 Posts
Couple of steps to take...

1) Update all of your A/V and Spyware programs then run a full scan from both in Safe mode (don't think this is the problem, but good 1st step none-the-less)

2) Update your Windows OS downloading all the latest critical updates. Might want to check the optionals as well. No hardware drivers from MS though

3) After rebooting, install DirectX 9.0c if you don't have it already

4) After rebooting, download and install the latest mainboard drivers

5) After rebooting, download and install the latest video card drivers

Depending upon the age of your system, and when it was reloaded last, it might be time to do it. :dunno I would get on average, anywhere from 3 months to 6 months on a Windows installation because of all the software I was installing and removing.

One other thing to look at to... Crack open your computer case and vaccuum all of the dust and crap out of it. Have it powered off, but plugged in. You want it grounded via the power cord while doing this. Then, with the case open, power it on and check to ensure all of your cooling fans are working properly.

·
Title? I dont no stink'n title
3,619 Posts
I dont know if FJorn helped out any. Sounds too me like you have 2 differnt problems. The video problem sounds like a power problem. Either with the power supply or mother board. You said whe you turn features off the problem goes away? Which to me would mean it isnt working as hard and causing as much heat. So is could be the power supply or the heat generated on your mother board? Has the computer ever bean dropped? Maybe there is a small crack on the mother board and when it gets hot, the trace is broken causing a reboot from loss of power.

The second problem problem sounds like a software problem. Due the updates like fjorn said. Also look in your task manager and make sure you dont have 2 conflicting programs trying to share the same interupt line.

·
37,587 Posts
A lot of times, if you have a heat issue within the case, the system will reboot. Doesn't matter if it's a CPU or video card, they will do the same. When the system gets taxed more such as playing a game, or running high graphics such as installs is when it typically happens.

I mentioned updating the software and drivers first because many times, if it's a new game, they are developed with a newer version of video chip drivers. Many even say they need a specific level. I update my graphics drivers at least every two months. :yesnod

I recommended opening the case to get rid of the dust because if it's anything like my systems, they can get dusty and even a slight amount ont the cooling fans will cause heat issues. Or, stop a fan from spinning or not allowing airflow to move correctly. That's a good time to check the cooling fans for proper operation.

I refuse to use compressed air within a system case. Instead, I opt to use a vaccuum when it's grounded properly. I will use compressed air to clear out keyboards and such.

Overall, my answers are very good places to start. If doing the steps I mentioned didn't help out, then I would've moved on to more advanced diagnostics. But, having a clean system with updated drivers is beneficial no matter how you look at it. :fact

·
37,587 Posts
EarlThePearl said:
IMO, it causes too much dust to go flying and be sucked into other running systems. Also, if you are not careful with compressed air, it might[/] cause damage by breaking off a resistor or something.

IMO, it's best to ground the computer system (I leave it plugged in, but powered off and P/S switched off) and use a small vaccuum head to get in and remove the dust.

There are places where using compressed air might be better, such as the cooling fins on CPU and video card, but in those cases I use a brush attachement and remove the fan assembly typically.

I have used compressed air before, but most times I've done so, I've taken the system out to the garage so as to keep dust within the house/office to a minimum.

One thing to be careful about with compressed air also is that at times, water can come out of the can or air hose due to condensation build up while building up pressure.

·
Title? I dont no stink'n title
3,619 Posts
fjorn said:

One thing to be careful about with compressed air also is that at times, water can come out of the can or air hose due to condensation build up while building up pressure.

good one....I didnt think about that.

·
you can't have my last beer
3,466 Posts
I agree with you for the most part. Using a vacuum helps keep the dust to a minimum when indoors. Just like you, I always take the pc outside to blow it out. At home I have a compressor in the barn, so I just take it out there.

When using compressed air, always use short bursts. Pressing down the nozzle too long will cause condensation from my experience.

When it comes to power supplies, I don't think you have much choice other than compressed air. Vacuums can't get a lot of the job done, but it can't do it completely. A combination of the two works best imo.

Thanks for clearing that up for me though.

·
37,587 Posts
Agreed, Earl. You can use compressed air if you're careful. I prefer to use the vacuum as much as possible. :thumbup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts