Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Member 1352
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small hole in my radiator and was wondering if it's repairable or not. Were talkin pinhole sized. It shot coolant all over the place. Do I have to get a new one? My buddy roosted me with his 03 Gix1K today and it sent a small pebble through my radiator. What should I do?...

·
Member 1352
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone know if solder would work. A friend suggested this and it seems like a good idea. I can see where the hole is. If I use alot of flux maybe...

·
Made You Look !
667 Posts
there is a product made to stop leaks in radiators. It is a liquid that has flakes of metal in it and it works well. Ive used it in a car and have no complaints. Not for sure if you'd like to add that to your fluid though. Just a thought, good luck

·
Super Moderator
21,669 Posts
Or, you could just smack him upside the head and make him pay
for it. :2bitchsla

·
Registered
70 Posts
be careful using that stop leak stuff, I used it in my truck a couple years ago and the mechanic told me that was the cause of my water pump failing and ramming my fan into my radiator. Solder is what is commonly used on vehicles as long as there are no rust problems.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Jboat said:
Does anyone know if solder would work. A friend suggested this and it seems like a good idea. I can see where the hole is. If I use alot of flux maybe...
Solder might melt off if the radiator gets to hot. Weld?

·
Suicide Kings Racing
2,183 Posts
JB weld and duct tape

also, i suggest buying my forks, then selling this bike and getting an 04!!!!

·
Member 1352
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You mean your Ohlins right:lol ...A mobile welding service..Mr.RPM is coming to weld it for me. He's a pro...

·
Suicide Kings Racing
2,183 Posts
i've heard of mr rpm,

that's crazy, i'm not that close to SF but i remember watching speed chanal (maybe some other network) and they were talking to mr. rpm

·
Registered
302 Posts
Jboat said:
You mean your Ohlins right:lol ...A mobile welding service..Mr.RPM is coming to weld it for me. He's a pro...
Take it to a radiator shop and they can fix it. Some one told me you have to weld off that radiator channel that has a hole in it. You cant just weld the hole cause it will mess with the preassure. I'm not sure if this is true or not but double check just to make sure.

·
Git er' done
164 Posts
By all means do not use solder!!! Its an aluminum rad, and it wont work!! Scrap it and get a new one, or buy the one R1stunta has. If you block off any of the coolant tubes you will surely get overheating. I work for a radiator factory and see this all the time on aluminum rads, its un repairable basically.

·
Git er' done
164 Posts
Her ya go, its where I work if anybldy is interested, we do manufacture rads, oil coolers for Yamaha and Honda, Kawi, etc. but not for general public sale, just Japanese factories.www.copar.net

·
When in dought Whip it out
450 Posts
You can have that pin hole TIG welded
I would do it for ya but I'm in NYC.

Ken

·
When in dought Whip it out
450 Posts
yamarulz said:
Her ya go, its where I work if anybldy is interested, we do manufacture rads, oil coolers for Yamaha and Honda, Kawi, etc. but not for general public sale, just Japanese factories.www.copar.net
Hey Rulz
Why don't you look into making us some radiators that are like the New CBR1000RR rads.
In other words HUGE
What do you think something like that would cost???

Ken

·
Git er' done
164 Posts
not good

NYR1 said:
You can have that pin hole TIG welded
I would do it for ya but I'm in NYC.

Ken
Hmm, tig welding, I dont think so, the aluminum fins that surround the tubes would disentigrate and they cannot be moved without destruction. It would also hinder the flow characteristcs in that area o fthe rad causing it to at LEAST have a hot spot, leading to a hot engine. I would just consider a new or like new rad.

Copar doesnt build one-off type products, if Yamaha corp. had a need for this oversized rad, then we would certainly be the ones they would contact. It wouldnt be profitable from Copars standpoint to sell low volume one-off products with the R&D required to manufacture such rads, hence it would be very costly to the consumer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts