Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
15,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I took the motocycle training course because I've never done it and since I've been riding for about 15 years without a motocycle liscense I was like let me take the class maybe I'll learn some shiot and have a fun time, which I did, not to mention it was a riot watching everybody, but then finally getting it. I'm like "watch me, it's called countersteer", and their like "OH YEAH now I get it"....

But there was a guy there about 25, that just bought a Busa and was so bad I was scared for him. I mean I wanted to tell him, "Please don't take this the wrong way, but sell your bike or put it in my garage, buy a 250 or something like that leave the bike at my house and come over and we'll ride together and I would love to spent the time with you to figure it out, because at this point your going to kill yourself on that bike"

What the hell do you do in a situation like that? I'm really pissed at myself for not saying something to him....

Man I'm beside myself......:mad:

·
L8R2U
21,459 Posts
Not a whole lot that you can do really just give advice, like maybe have you ever tried dirtbikes no maybe you should check them out. Maybe give advice on books or videos or c/d's twist of the wrist II c/d for example.:thumbup How about a offer of going riding and give some pointers :thumbup

·
Dis Microphone Explodes
3,064 Posts
i would have told him right away. i do not understand how people just go out and buy the fastest bike out there instead of educating themselves and taking things more slowly. i started on a 1998 GSX-R600 and the following season bought myself the 2003 R6. I have about 30,000km's under my belt and feel confident on the bike. Its a shame that people always have to rush into things, even if they are putting their lives in jeopardy by doing so...

·
If my R6 had boobs,I'd lick'em
1,633 Posts
Ok seriously.......get off it.....anyone can start off on a busa...or an r1.....or any other litre bike.............dont know what yalls problem is about people who don't want to have to upgrade!

j/k of course....:finger :lol :finger

·
Banned
15,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know what you guys, I honestly feel like shiot, hopefully I'll see him next weekend, because the course it 2 weekends, and I'm definitely gonna say something.

I hate it when I go against my gut..... I should :machinegu myself..

·
Love 2 High-side
324 Posts
Dude... I would definitely say something. Too many new riders get killed every year not to. It's not only sad, but its the primary reason why insurance rates are so high for sportbikes. The worst that could happen is that he won't listen to you.

·
Una Caterva, Una Pugna
34,147 Posts
When I was 8 years old and threw out the training wheels, I skipped a ten speed and went straight to a Katana 750 and I'm still alive. I don't see what the bfd is. :p :riding

·
Registered
113 Posts
Is the busa more tame than an R1 or a Gixxer Grand? I would think so. They look slow to me.

I know they are 1300 CC and everything, but guys go out and buy cruisers every day that have never ridden with 883 - 1800 CCs.

I think if you can...wait, you said you saw this dude ride and he couldnt. LOL!

Ignore me. :D

marcus

·
WERA/CCS #217
5,983 Posts
Dont knock yourself so hard man..

I mean honestly.. just because you say something doesnt mean he's gonna automatically sell his bike..

Chances are this guy didnt just walk in dealership and said I want that one because its the prettiest!

To even want a busa, he's probably hyped off some shyt he heard from his friends or whateva that busa is the fastest bike. Of course completely confused thats what he went looking for. And he will learn the hard way that ALL SPORTBIKES ARE FAST..

The problem with newbies is they under estimate the skills involved in a A) riding a motorcycle.. B) riding a motorcycle fast.

I'm myself am guilty of this. And I'm not a newbie, I know for a fact I'd be faster in most places 'other than a straight line' if I was on a R6 rather than a R1. But after putting 13,000+ miles on my R1 I can say I'm honestly comfortable enough to it. Where I can ride it to some of its potential.

I have a friend on a 954 thats even worse. He's done about 5000 miles and while he can pretty much control the bike. Alot of times he'll drag behind. Why.. because he's scared to twist hard in corners. Or when tryin to wheelie he's like i'm scared I'm going to flip it. Anytime he makes that comment, I just give him that that "I told you so" 600 look.

Of coruse the busa kid is in for a helluva learning curve. But the point is, he bought that bike for reason. And you telling him that its 'too fast' or too much 'power' for him. Is probably the exact opposite of why he spent his cash on a busa in fhe first place.

Its just one of those things in life.. where experience is the best teacher and you just gotta learn the hard way.

·
GO CHIEFS!!!
6,870 Posts
I doubt he would listen anyway... Most people who are dumb enough to run out and buy something like that are too thick headed to accept advice from anyone....

- BA

·
slowest rider ..rides in front
1,148 Posts
mkinla said:
This weekend I took the motocycle training course because I've never done it and since I've been riding for about 15 years without a motocycle liscense ....

What the hell do you do in a situation like that? I'm really pissed at myself for not saying something to him....

Man I'm beside myself......:mad:
I don't know what's worst .. a 15 year rider w/out a license or a newbie w/ a Busa.:dunno

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
Trainwreck said:
Is the busa more tame than an R1 or a Gixxer Grand? I would think so. They look slow to me.

I know they are 1300 CC and everything, but guys go out and buy cruisers every day that have never ridden with 883 - 1800 CCs.

:lol :lol :lol :no :lol :lol :lol

·
Super Moderator
21,675 Posts
Just take the time to point out to him in a constructive way on
what the busa really is and what it can do to someone who has
never been on a sportbike. Maybe even go out with him on the
road so he can practice on some low speed turns and other
things that can get you into trouble. Congrats on the MSF.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts