Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm no stranger to the insane R1 vibrations.. i regularly check all bolts for proper torque (not to mention i loc-tited about 100 of them when i was getting the bike painted)...

and i've had some cast aluminum stuff (fairing stay, exhaust bracket) snap from vibration fatigue over time.

went into the garage tonight to put my seat-cowl on, and i see my alarm in 2 pieces. i assume offhand that it "snaps" together and it's just unsnapped itself somehow... lean a bit closer and i notice all of the mountpoints have broken hahahah. wow.

Gorilla should have made the mountpoints thicker, with a rib to spreadout vibration, me thinks. :D

the alarm (3057): http://www.gorilla-auto.com/products/?sfID1=266&sfID2=268

·
Cheating death in the "D"
21,068 Posts
vibration fatique increases expotentially with the number of wheelies & 12 o'clocks performed, so it doesn't surprise me you have issues, since your so proficient at both, and have logged a bezillion of each :2bitchsla

just kiddin ya Adam, locktight & TIprep are always out when I do work on my bike too :yesnod

have you posted pics up for the other members to oggle since you got the beast redone, added your graphics yet? sure is looking sweet :rock

·
Action figure sold separately
12,213 Posts
Your bike should not be vibrating like that. SOmething must be wrong. I have three R1s currently, and not one of them vibrates, they're all smooth as can be, fwiw.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea rorlow.. i'm sure they are haha. i thought of that.. but i don't think it's as much of an issue since the inside of the tail is pretty central to the pivot-point in most wheelies heh. now.. if it was way out on the end of the nose.. i could maybe see that happening ;) ..i'll be posting a thread soon with images. waiting to hear Visa's final decision regarding my dispute with a certain bodywork manufacturer before I post my thread. (visa has 45 days from the time of dispute, which had to be 30 days after return of merchandise.. lol)

eyespy.. i'm not necessarily talking about "v-twin" style vibrations.. but trust me, any 4stroke motor turning 12k rpm is going ot have a lot of vibrations. take your bar ends off and see if i'm wrong ;) every motorcycle i've ever owned has had bolts wanting to come loose.. and every R1 i've owned has been particularly worse in this regard.

i still love my r1 though.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
hmm i have been using my 03 from june of 03, and never had problems with bolts wanting to come out. i do check them once in while but never used locktite. mind you i use it everyday as my primary mode of transportation in rain and snow, and take it up to 11K very often, on the highway, and constant revs in the mountain ranges (2 hour ride non stop almost every weekend). It goes through the usual wheelie and stoppie thing once in while and this is the first time i ever see something like this take place. if the bike was a ducati or an RC51 i would say "yeah, maybe" but this is seriously mind boggling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts