Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am thinking about doing a low budget home theater projector setup... i know about avsforum.com and found it useful, but its hard as hell for me to sift thru all those searches. that site is a little complex for dlp noobs like me... anyways i was looking at the infocus x1 and a dalite screen. Anybody here have comments on these products or anyother products in this price range.... also if u have tips on this please tell me, thnx!

·
El Assholio Supremo del Mundo
10,685 Posts
what are you goning to use for your signal source?
DVD, TV, VCR?

makes a difference in what you buy so that you get the right inputs on the projector.

·
10,685 Posts
then make sure you get something that has composite inputs. They are way better than anything else and i suspect you have a good receiver that does somposite video switching or if not, make sure you have composite inputs for everything you need them for.
The more sets of inputs the better in my book.

infocus are good, but generally lack enough inputs.
you might want to consider something a little higher up the food chain.
My minimum is three sets of comp inputs.
btw you gonna front project or rear?

·
Action figure sold separately
12,225 Posts
Composite inputs are low quality video inputs, below the video bandwidth of S-Video, which is below the video bandwidth of component video.

·
INVICTUS
14,902 Posts
Please refer to the EYESPY Audio and Home theater website. We all know he is the pro's. ( Eyespy I knew you'd be in on this one sooner or later.)

·
10,685 Posts
Eyespy said:
Composite inputs are low quality video inputs, below the video bandwidth of S-Video, which is below the video bandwidth of component video.
sorry your right. i meant component not composite:2bitchsla

i always get thos e two mixed up!:crash

Maybe i should just call em the red green blue ones???:sneaky

·
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i have the necessary audio equipment... i need to find something around that price range since i just bought a $4k samsung hdtv not too long ago... money is getting really tight and my gf is getting pissed. the x1 is a front projector... its got pretty gsolid review, ranked best bang for the buck by most reviewers... i think i might just give it a try... this is basically a pre-xmas gift suggestion...

·
12,225 Posts
The X-1 is a very decent "bang for the buck" entry level HT quality front projector with a very impressive image quality.

·
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Eyespy said:
The X-1 is a very decent "bang for the buck" entry level HT quality front projector with a very impressive image quality.
thats exactly what i was looking for... im just a little worried about the rainbow effect thats been linked to the x1 in some reviews... but they did say they got used to it. im kind of a perfectionist, but then again im on a budget so i cannot complain too much. thnx eyespy!

·
12,225 Posts
R1Budha said:
sorry your right. i meant component not composite:2bitchsla

i always get thos e two mixed up!:crash

Maybe i should just call em the red green blue ones???:sneaky
No sweat, R1Budha. The terminology can get confusing if you're not using it all the time. Think of it like this: composite video is a combination of the chrominance and luminance signals in one "composite" video signal, and analog component video (or color-difference video) uses 3 separate 75ohm coax cables which carry the Y, R-Y, and B-Y signals separately. Then there's RGB video which is also a component video format which isn't the same as analog component video. It gets very complicated....

·
12,225 Posts
non-ricer said:
thats exactly what i was looking for... im just a little worried about the rainbow effect thats been linked to the x1 in some reviews... but they did say they got used to it. im kind of a perfectionist, but then again im on a budget so i cannot complain too much. thnx eyespy!
Some viewers are more susceptible to the rainbow effect than others. It would be a good idea if you can find a HT showroom where you can actually view the projector in action before you purchase. But at this price point, there is always going to be one compromise or another.

·
Jesus ate my hamster
479 Posts
I use an Infocus X-1 with a Da-Lite 70x70 matte screen and a Kenwood surround. I've had this system for about a year now and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I've heard about "rainbow effects" as well but have never experienced them.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
digital in digital out, using coax and fiber optical connections... NEVER GO WRONG... but if your using a CRT...id go with r yr b connections.. with the dvd player..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts