Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Biker friends.....

Im a newbie...yes I know I suck. Well a little background info. Im a 26 year old who's married with one kid. Ive been wanting to ride all my life, just never had the oppurtunity. I now have the power to get a bike, with some fierce battles fought with my wife over the subject. Anyways, I really want to get like a 01-02 R6 as my first bike. I have two buddies with an R6 and one buddy with a 03 R1.

I currently have a M class learners and and registerd for MSF begginers bike training on June 3rd (paid for already). I guess my question is DO YOU GUYS THINK I WOULD BE OK WITH A R6 AS MY FIRST BIKE EVER. I dont have any previous bike riding at all but I have driven a stick for all my life. I know and understand where everything on the bike is located and how it works however, I just never rode. What do you guys think....honest opinions only.

:riding

:fork

·
Registered
100 Posts
yeah, you should be fine. take the course. but the course uses 250cc bikes. take it slow you the r6 until you get comfortable. Good luck

·
i need my bike before i snap
246 Posts
i would recomend the r1...i bought a r6 a year ago and now i have ordered a r1...people always say to get a r6 first and get a r1 later but i say if your not rich just get the r1 because you'll just want the r1 after a couple of months... besides you can still kill yourself on the r6...i had mine up to 265 km last summer...remember a bike will only go as fast as the throttle is pulled so buy the r1 and go easy for the first bit until you get comfortable...tell your wife thanks for "letting" you get a bike

·
Registered
100 Posts
i disagree, an r1 is too much, you learn a lot in a year, beside almost everyone drops their 1st bike

·
When In doubt...More Throttle!
86 Posts
RhAngel,
The fact that you are honest enough to show such modesty, speaks volumes about your maturity level.

Registering for the MSF course combined w/ you being a Dad also holds weight.

Those two things under your belt and you are on your way to a successful motorcycling career.........

As for your choice of machine: An R6 is no slouch by any means . As you gain experience you can upgrade the"6" with many aftermarket parts to increase performance/handling.....The choice in Motorcycle is not nearly as important as Attitude & education .....for that is what keeps you alive on the streets.

Ideally you want to start small,but in this case the R6 is a good choice. Just keep in mind that it is plenty fast and the power must be respected.

Just like your baby....Take small steps & eventually you will be able to run!

Good Luck ,
Ray

·
i need my bike before i snap
246 Posts
i don't totally agree.... sure the r1 is a much faster machine but the truth is a mo-ped can go fast enough to seriously hurt you...my point is you control the bike not the other way around so get a bike that does everything you could ever want i.e. the r1 and just be smart...btw the 1/4 mile times between the two are about 1 second so you can see that both are extremely fast.. getting a r1 first will save you having to get another bike next year that's my 2c

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would say get a ninja 250 first like I did, then sell it for as much as you bought it for, because you can get used one for 1200 dollars. Ride it for a month or 2 or even 3, then sell it and get the R6 if you feel ready. Be sure to wear all of your gear, Helmet, Gloves, Boots, Back Protector, Leathers. Dont get an R1, that guy has no idea what he is talking about. I guarentee that if you start on a 250 you will be a better rider faster then the guy who started on an R1 or an R6. Hell, just ask Rossi. Dont bother with a new ninja 250, they have been unchanged since about 1988. Go for a 94-98 to get the best price. Here www.ninja250.net www.ninja250.com . DO NOT GET AN R1 FOR YOUR FIRST BIKE!!!! Chris, the problem with getting an r1 over a 250 or similar bike is although both can hurt you, in an emergency you are more likly to make a mistake that on a 250 would mabye cause an accident, while on the R1 it would cause an accident. Its much eaiser to highside an r1 if you **** up then it is a 250. Trust me, I have accidently dumped the clutch on my 250, and nothing bad happened, scary but no wreck, while on an R1, I might not be typing this now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help guys....Im glad I recieved positive feedback from the most of you. Im also a member on www.r6-forum.com and when I asked there, I got nothing but negative comments. I really appreciate the advise...I may buy this very clean 02 R6 Blue/White with only 3200k miles and mint condition...seller agreed to 5200.

Thanks again !

:fire

:riding

·
No soup for you!
2,854 Posts
i started with a 600 katana and after 6 months i bought a r6, its fast but not really enough to scare the crap out of me, so i am looking tomove up another notch, you should be fine with the r6, and they looks tits!

·
Savin Some $$$$
13 Posts
My first bike is an R6, i dont have the bals to get an R1 yet maybe in a year or so. Its a great bike to learn on and it still has plenty of power. I started off like you with not a clue of how to ride a bike but one thing; learning a stick has nothing to do with learning how to ride a bike.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Go get an R6, nothing I say or the guys at r6-forum.com is going to stop you. Just know that you are not going to be as good of a rider as someone who started on a smalled bike, and you are much more likley to crash, leaving your kid fatherless. I dont know why the hell people come here and ask, it is obvious you just wanted to hear people tell you to get it. The guys at R6-forum said no, but some guys here said yes, so you choose to listen to the people who said yes? Of course a bunch of guys with r1s are going to tell you its ok to get an R6, because that is less powerfull then thier r1. Here, next time you want to ask a dumb question that you dont really care about the answers, use the SEARCH button.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Attention: GRANT

I asked for honest opinons, not negative comments about leaving my son fatherless. Save all the built up disgruntle aggravation for your probation officer and the sluts you pay to have sex with you F'en LOSER. Anyways enough wasted energy on you, O...and by the way Im not going waste me time responding to your response to this so just take the butt plug out and change the TV station before your mom comes charging in.

Anyways...thanks to everyone for thier kind and honest opinions about what stesp I should take to enjoy riding and having what I want.

:butt

Grant <-- :boom

·
When In doubt...More Throttle!
86 Posts
Rhangel,
So have you decided to Purchase the R6? and what part of MD do u live ? Good luck w/ your anticipated purchase!

Ray

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree that starting with something small (e.g. Ninja 250) will help you to grow your confidence and refine your techniques, plus is lighter and easier to control. I understand that it is you who control de accelerator, but it is easier to amplify your mistakes in a heavier and more powerful bike. Go light and another advice is whenever you don't feel 100% aware don't ride! (say you didn't sleep well, hangover, etc.).
:thumbup

·
2001 R6 / 2004 R1
168 Posts
Grant...you could also hurt yourself while rolling out of bed in the morning.

rhangel... you'll be fine on the r6 aslong as you respect the bike and it's power, ease yourself into the throttle and push yourself on the bike in slow increments... just take it easy and you'll be fine.

Also, dont try to hang with your buddies if they take off on highspeed runs etc.. just stay cool, they'll (should) slow down and wait for you.

·
Registered
240 Posts
There is no comparison to rolling out of bed in the morning and getting hurt, and starting on an R6. One has 98+ HP, the other is stationary in your bedroom. What pisses me off about the people who come here asking if they should get an R6/1 for thier first bike is that they dont give a **** why they shouldnt, only why they should. I guess it makes them feel better about doing something that they know is stupid. As to having a probation officer and paying sluts for sex, I do neither.... Your the one who seems like a little kid mom amd pop'in. Mom can I get an R6 , No? It wouldnt be a good idea? Ill just ask Dad. Sorry if you didnt like the cold hard truth that people who start on bigger bikes get in more accidents then people who start on more controlable machines, and the fact of the matter is, if I had a kid I would want the highest chance of being around for him while still doing what I like. Starting on an r6 is not a good idea, unless you are one huge mother.I have known quite a few people who bought big bikes for thier first bikes, and well, they arent riding them anymore. Its funny how mad people get when you just answer the question they asked.

·
Do or do not, there is no try
2,671 Posts
rhangel said:
Attention: GRANT

I asked for honest opinons, not negative comments about leaving my son fatherless. Save all the built up disgruntle aggravation for your probation officer and the sluts you pay to have sex with you F'en LOSER. Anyways enough wasted energy on you, O...and by the way Im not going waste me time responding to your response to this so just take the butt plug out and change the TV station before your mom comes charging in.

Anyways...thanks to everyone for thier kind and honest opinions about what stesp I should take to enjoy riding and having what I want.

:butt

Grant <-- :boom
Although he didn't make his points in the best way to get them across to you, I completely agree with them. An R6 is waaaay to much for a first bike. You need a true beginners bike to properly learn countersteering, body positioning, what the two brakes are for and when to use them, plus other skills like correct gear selection.

A modern sportbike will mask all these lack of skills for a rider on the street because their chassis/engines are just so good. You won't really realize how poor a rider you actually are unless you go to a trackday or even worse, someone pulls out in front of you, or the road conditions are poor, and actual riding skill would have saved your hide.

:beer

These comments are meant to be sincere. I honestly hope you're not just some person who will keep asking around until somebody tells you it's a good idea.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.